Ive got the blues about blues

Started by chimp koose, March 03, 2022, 09:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

if you go to auto hobby page and click on the large car pix index heading it will allow you to view by make and year . Quite an extensive library of pictures from 1896 to 2007 sorted by manufacturer and in the case of hot rods also by coupe ,sedan, hiboy , lowboy , chopped etc. IDJ i think you may find a few GTO's as well 8)

idrivejunk

Theres a 66 GTO at work and when they move it around its like a familiar voice. I don't have much trouble finding images but images I have rights to are another matter entirely. Nowadays I figure its not even ok for me to trace a pic somebody besides me took or that isn't my car at my home. You'll have a color in mind when the time comes, I'm sure. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

:idea:  Ford engine blue!  :shock:

Think about it.  8)
Matt

chimp koose

Got a chevy engine painted cast iron grey.

idrivejunk

No matter. Just call it something else. Its lighter than Washington, darker than Grabber, and nobody else might think to use it on exterior but its as good looking as any other solid medium blue IMHO. Just an afterthought had while fixing a Chevy. Not meant to pester. Be easy to try rattle can on something though, to debunk the theory. :)
Matt

jaybee

Quote from: idrivejunk on March 07, 2022, 07:20:43 PM

Think about it.  8)

How about Ford Sonic Blue? It's pretty similar to Corporate Blue that was used 1967-1973 but with the visual quality of a topcoat. https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/ha0419/ha0419-372565/images/8-1548773831963@2x.jpg?1554387661000
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Quote from: jaybee on March 07, 2022, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: idrivejunk on March 07, 2022, 07:20:43 PM

Think about it.  8)

How about Ford Sonic Blue? It's pretty similar to Corporate Blue that was used 1967-1973 but with the visual quality of a topcoat. https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/ha0419/ha0419-372565/images/8-1548773831963@2x.jpg?1554387661000

Beautiful hue. And very similar in that to the color I had in mind. Another pearl formula though and he wants a solid. Engine colors can be mixed in any refinish paint.

I hate how my thoughts trickle out like this but one more... If a guy was to go down to the tractor stuff getting place needing paint for a Ford lawnmower, for example...hmm. I also dislike the thought of industrial paints but y'know they probably can be rubbed up. And cleared over. With pearl in the clear if a guy was of a mind to.  8)  I know many honest rodder types often express disgust with auto refinish paint price and have explored the Rustoleum and such world as a result and been pleased. No point in paying extra if paint is paint. No point in complexity for complexity's sake.
Matt

chimp koose

I painted my 65 Merc truck with rustoleum 12 years ago and it still will buff out if I cared to . Its just a straight enamel like used in the 50's as I understand . That said , I would not brush and roller paint my model T although the thought of it is kind of fun as it would drive my car buddies nuts ! I have heard of fleet paints being less expensive and that is a consideration but not the driving point of my paint selection . I have only sprayed a handful of vehicles over the last 40+ years and have to say that while my work was good (no runs or dry spots) , my skill level is not up to the pearl and candy stage  :lol: I would like to spray this one myself as it has always been my intention(lifelong childhood goal) to build and do as much of this car myself as possible . The practicality of having a finish that could be easily repaired is a major point as like I have mentioned I intend to drive this thing everywhere including on gravel roads . I will not winter drive it although the entire inside /underside is coated with POR 15 . Ford engine blue is actually something I should have a good look at as it is sort of in the range of blue I am thinking of .

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

The Jeepster is painted with Rustoleum flat Black protective enamel that was $4.89 a can. It's an easy color to match and it lets the bad look just as good. It looks better than it did when I got it and I'm just impressed when it moves under it's own power. GPster

chimp koose

So what is the trick to painting pearl ? Does it just spray out like a straight colour or are there any special things to consider ? Asking for a friend :roll:

idrivejunk

Ask your friend if he has in mind pearl mid-coats (between a base and clear, as in "candy" or "three stage") or just using a common modern plain basecoat formula which contains mica perhaps along with aluminum metallics. Thats the norm, and probably what most of the suggestions are. Like that pretty Lightning. Those are a cinch to spray but the flake is translucent unlike metallic so in light colors coverage is more of an issue. Getting the pearl effect is a cinch. Rarely is pearl used without metallic, they help one another look swell. I repair painted a lot of cars that had pearl colors and shot every one of mine that I did that way. Never gave me a lick of trouble spraying the stuff. Fine metallics are hardest to spray.

Alas, some do struggle. My day was on the tail end of the still mostly solvent-borne basecoat era.
Matt

kb426

For the biggest part the answer is yes. Now, where it get's interesting is if it's only pearl mixed in clear for a top coat tint. Too much ruins the primary color. Many of the modern colors have pearl mixed in with everything else so your just shooting color. Years ago at the SEMA show I saw a Nissan that was yellow with red pearl overlay. Because you can't see all of what the pearl does in reflections as you paint. When you walk around you see as the reflections change what you have accomplished. The Nissan went from yellow to red as you changed view points. If that's the look he's after, finding the correct amount of pearl to mix and apply will be whats most important.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

For the record, putting coats of clear binder with pearl in them over color... simply never ever has enough effect. Or clouds the underlying color. Yuck. I can give several examples. It sounds cool but the results ain't worth doing.

But take Ford E9 Laser red. It is a three stage. The base is a pink with fine metallic. The midcoat is a translucent very dark red color, heavy on mica but also with lots of color (mixing toners). Pearl whites may not use tints in the midcoat but other 3 stage colors do.

I can explain how pearl "works" vs  pure met but am out of time. My advice is to not consider seperate pearl coats. Just regular basecoat with dashes of pearl in it is what I'm pushing. It does not necessarily drive the mix price up, mica is a widely used material in more than one industry.
Matt

chimp koose

Whatever I do I would like to stay with single stage . Believe it or not I am liking ford tractor blue. It is probably close to the engine paint in tone . I like the Idea of spraying some panels to see what things look like . I have extra  T fenders that I could splash some colours on to evaluate . Again this paint job will be quite some time from now . ultra marine blue and dark peacock blue are looking good as well .