Want to make a pinion depth gage for rear end install

Started by Ed ke6bnl, March 17, 2006, 05:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

Want to make a pinion depth gage for rear end gear install,  I have never seen one, but what I make of it I want to turn down a round stock to either tightly fit into the existing carrier bearings or replace the bearing with a turned down round stock to match up with the outside dia. of the carrier bearing and and drill a hole in the center to place a depth gage to get the measurement for the distance from the end of the pinion to the center of the round stock while clamped down under  the bearing caps.  Do I have this correct or am I missing something.  this will give me an actual depth reading or is all I need is relative reading with some straight flat stock bolted in across the flats of the bearing. thanks want to try to do a ring and pinion change out in my boys 12 bolt from his chevy pu.  Thanks for your input Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

enjenjo

I usually measure from a flat bar across the flats of the bearing caps, to the pinion. You can use that and the +or- markings on the pinion to figure it out. The tool you describe first is actually the correct tool, I had one with all the cup adapters, but it grew legs :(
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'm the same as Frank. I use a piece of 1/4" bar stock and use dial calipers or something similar. Works like a champ. You could drill a flat plate for a specific rear and use a dial indicator but I think you'll find the same results.
I have several Enco dial indicators turned into strange measuring devices. They don't cost much but are real effective.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

I'd be interesting in pictures to better envision what you guys are doing :D .

c ya, Sum

Arnold

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"Want to make a pinion depth gage for rear end gear install,  I have never seen one, but what I make of it I want to turn down a round stock to either tightly fit into the existing carrier bearings or replace the bearing with a turned down round stock to match up with the outside dia. of the carrier bearing and and drill a hole in the center to place a depth gage to get the measurement for the distance from the end of the pinion to the center of the round stock while clamped down under  the bearing caps.  Do I have this correct or am I missing something.  this will give me an actual depth reading or is all I need is relative reading with some straight flat stock bolted in across the flats of the bearing. thanks want to try to do a ring and pinion change out in my boys 12 bolt from his chevy pu.  Thanks for your input Ed ke6bnl

Pinion depth gauges are made by a number of companies.Shouldn't be too hard to find pics.
  Not trying to be smart..just curious why you want/need  to measure it?As Enjenjo mentioned..you can go by the markings on the pinion(and shim..set the depth from them)
  If it is a blank housing you are left with or starting with ..respectfully.. in this case..it is probablly easier,cheaper to find another complete assy.
  If you tore it up real good..maybe tossed the old parts..I would still go for another assy.If you tore it up/trashed the pinion..be real careful in that the pinion..and the shrapnel in the bearings.. didn't grab the pinion bearing OUTER RACE and move it in the housing.This isn't that uncommon..especially in 4X4's when they lose/drive with a bad  front drive axle/joint.Pinion nut comes loose.When the outer race gets moved..it will often "walk"..or get a bit crooked.Sometimes(nasty) crap will get in behind the bottom of the race and the housing.SOoo..you stuff the thing back together and you either can't get the pinion depth set right..or you think it is right and shim accordingly..which ends up being wrong.Maybe you catch it with a pattern test.Or maybe the race spins in the housing.Not good.If the bore in the housing where the race sits gets nicked..or a tiny bit sloppy..sometimes this can be cleaned up..and the race set with max.strength Loctite.

PeterR

Quote from: "enjenjo"I usually measure from a flat bar across the flats of the bearing caps, to the pinion.  :(

I have never done it this way because I have been suspicious the flats of the caps might not be exactly on the bearing centerline.  Is this a real possibility or an unwarranted concern.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "PeterR"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I usually measure from a flat bar across the flats of the bearing caps, to the pinion.  :(

I have never done it this way because I have been suspicious the flats of the caps might not be exactly on the bearing centerline.  Is this a real possibility or an unwarranted concern.

Peter:

My feeling is that your fears are ungrounded.

If the split in the bore was either side of the centerline, it would be difficult to get the bearing into that side of the bore since the arc of the bore would be returning from its most outward point.

I, too, have successfully used a flat bar off the bearing housing bore split....I have ground the half-inch flat bar true on my surface grinder.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

Quote from: "PeterR"

Even if it is off a couple thousands, as long as you can repeat from one measurement to the next, it's still valid. You couldn't use it to compare to another housing, but it's good for any gear in that housing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.