Brakes

Started by 416Ford, August 14, 2023, 08:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

So we had the wheel bearing issue and it tore front caliper off the car when it came apart. My question is how do I get a proportioning valve with no residuals in it? In a newer car the proportioning valve would have close off the front brakes and I would have had rear brakes still. In this case, I have a dual master and I had no rear brakes. Photo attached is the setup I have currently.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

lofat46

I have a firewall mounted master on my '48 Ford and had the same on my old '46 Chevy and only had the proportioning valve pictured. Never needed a check valve or separated proportioning valve.

416Ford

Under the floor mounting must have check valves to prevent feed back.
John, can the one you show be used with the valves in the system?
I see it says two front lines, I would need One front line and one back line.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

WZ JUNK

I recently replaced the one on my old truck.  I used the residual valves with one of the factory style proportioning valves like the one in the link.  My master cylinder is under the floor.  I plumbed it so that I used two lines for the front because I already had that from the old system.  That is the way the factory setup was.  I do not know if you could plug one of the ports and just use one to supply the front brakes.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

416Ford

Looked at the Q and A on Speedway site and this is what I need. I can run this with under floor setup and I can plug off one of the lines for my setup. Thanks John.

Bruce Dorsi

If the set-up is the same as 416's pic, doesn't a dual master cylinder prevent complete failure of a brake system if either the front or rear circuit is compromised?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

The way I understand the system uses the proportioning valve to divert the fluid in a situation when the front or rear brake system fails.  The shuttle in the proportioning valve closes off the failed part and diverts fluid to the other part.  So it is a combination proportion valve and a safety mechanism that enables you to have some brakes if part of the braking system partially fails.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

GM calls it a Combination valve. You can find them cheaper on Amazon. You should also get the tool that holds the shuttle valve in place for bleeding the brakes.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=s10+brake+combination+valve&crid=2RBMBG0LJFYDY&sprefix=s10+brake+combination+valve%2Caps%2C126&ref=nb_sb_noss
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

Bruce, I thought the same thing. The proportioning valve is a good winter project for anyone who doesn't have one.

Thanks for the heads up Frank, where were you yesterday before I ordered the other one?  ;D

kb426

I needed some time to think about this. (thinking is a problem) I have done a similar setup on the last 2 builds. It seems to me that the problem is presented by the adjustable proportioning valve. It takes pressure to make it through the valve. Depending on the style of a double master cylinder, it is possible for all of the fluid to drain out and not have any brakes. The newer stuff that I'm using has a very small division in the reservoir. I wonder if the proportioning valve will retain enough fluid to make the rear brakes work against the adjustable valve. Am I missing something here?
TEAM SMART