Displaying die cast trucks

Started by idrivejunk, July 03, 2023, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Dad always bought his gas at Skelly Oil.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

I have this project at home now, for the finish. Many decisions to make on it.

Anybody know a good way to represent gravel in around 1/30th scale and stick it down or contain it?

A trip to someplace with model train stuff might provide inspirations.

I'll have to post some pics, maybe prod more ideas from you guys as I go. I haven't figured out if it's a farm truck garage shed or a used truck sales lot thing yet. But Dad built in some neat features.
Matt

58 Yeoman

Matt, go to a craft store and tell them what you want to do.  I think there is some clear stuff that you could pour onto the gravel and will be clear when it sets up.  Keep us informed.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Kitty litter was Mom's suggestion. I think sand or that over a fog of spray trim adhesive might do.

But!

More idea variants have emerged.  Environments. Cast your vote.

1: Farm truck pole barn, gravel or dirt floor. (original intent)

The inverted MDF was my idea for some ground texture to stick sawdust or something to. But when I did warplane diorama stuff as a kid, black spray painted particle board made convincing asphalt. And since I really don't want to dirt patina the trucks, blacktop scenarios are in play. What do you think?

#2: Awning over used late model pickups at a new or used car dealer's lot.

#3: Farmer's market scene.

#4: Mechanic's repair shack theme.

#5: Drive-in restaurant.

#6: Feed store / Farm & Home lot.

Add your suggestion? Pick one?

Scale is an issue with "props" such as people figures but I can make stuff. Food for thought, input welcome. Stoke me up! :)

I'll get some more pics. This may end up being one of those deals where a real-looking pic might result from some perspective trickery. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Phil and CK... both good ideas.  8)

A trip to Hobby Lobby is probably the right thing to do, to set me a viable path. :idea:  :arrow:

Heres a regular car model for scale reference. I believe it is the standard 1/28th scale but the trucks are 1/32.

It will be cheesy no doubt but is a labor of love / memorial keepsake.

Roof flaps can be lifted individually or the entire shed can be lifted off. The rods and slots are for moving trucks forward or back and the pegs they engage will allow tail or nose-in parking.

The front wheels are steerable and doors n hoods open but I don't think gates can drop.

Matt

kb426

Number 3 or 6 for the simple reason that the others are real common. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Environment #7 lovers lane . You could just fog up all the glass to keep it PG rated .  ;D

idrivejunk

It could be a necking shed yep.  :shock: wa wa waa

Truth be known... hay lofts and pole sheds were welcome facilities for elective summer coeducational physical activities where and when I hail from. During the pre-back seat age. Ah. :)

This went real well today and as my own customer I can safely say that this is satisfactory, at least thus far. Unembellished but my scrounging was fruitful. Could use some paint maybe, signs, tiny bushel baskets and crates, painted BBs as fruit, and what-not but as of now it is a semi-permanent vegetable stand. You know, like there used to be. Freshest, cheapest. On the side of the main blacktop road, aways out from town. Out by the dirt road with all the mailboxes on the corner. Yep, five families pitched in scrap and hands to put up some shade for Maw and poochy.

Easy now IDJ. Oh I always am making up the story as I make a scene. Hushing that now to tell how this fell together:

Had some inherited salvage canvassed art board (portraits, gesso'ed over) that happen to be just the size so I could score the backside and fold a piece to make a ground and back panel in one. While keeping the neat edges intact.

Ma had handed me a couple Valspar house paint mix samples Monday, one grey and one greenish. Which is a fine color for a fixed rural produce stand. Vegetables in block letters probably. Propped up handwrote signs and a chair for every truck yknow. Lazy hot dogs beside them perhaps.

Got out my claw hammer to pulverize some white gravel from out by my porch, sat down with water and a brush and a tube of white to dapple in with the grey. Then after a foundation coat I just sprinkled the coarse gravel as I painted over it with water added. Slung half a brushful of brown cake watercolor wash down as a muddy track while wet and well there ya have it. Nothing spent. All contributed materials. I can take it as far as I want or rest here and come back to it next year. ;)

Matt

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Thank you sir. That part just turned out easier and more realistic than imagined. A "nothing to lose" effort.

Required some trimming of my initial slots in the canvas but the trucks pull out and push back in easily with no touching required.

And yes I found that tailgates do drop down but only with gentle care. That was my decider for the veggie stand theme.

Painted all the wood that background color also yesterday. Reckon I may paint a door opening stick to use as part of the display.

Think I'm gonna attach the roof panels too. No need for them to be hinged when the whole shed just lifts off of two pegs easily plus the pull-out feature is present.

I am thinking of putting a long Gordon's Gardens hanging sign under the front of roof. When I'm done, best thing I can think of to do with it is send it to Cousin Marsha.

How many props do you guys think I need to pull off the scene? 2-3 folding chairs, 2 crates and 2 bushels of veggies then a leaning sign or two out front. Eh?
Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

For a lot longer than a bodyman! ;)

Thank you CK.  8)

How are you doing on watermelons, lettuce, tomatoes, and corn?  :-o  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

Are the watermelons peanuts that you painted?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose