Front clips or big Z photos ?

Started by 41ChevyTrucker, February 13, 2004, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41ChevyTrucker

Any photos out there of front clip jobs or big "Z" s  ?

1FATGMC you out there?. I thought I remember you had some photos of your clip with a big Z on your website but I don't remember the url.

I bought all my material and have laid out the parts and measured and have a design figured out but I would like to see some other successful jobs to see if I am on track.

Current plan: make the z out of plate and overlap on the outside of the clip and the new tube rails about 10 - 12" both ways. The Z drop is a full 10" with a nice smooth s curve to it. The new z section will be created as a channel then welded in place. Then the inside of the z section and clip together will be boxed. Does that sound like a good plan? sturdy enough? I am going to tack the z together and get everything laid out then have a pro weld it up. I want this thing to be STOUT! Remember the new wheelbase is going to be 144" LOOOOONG AND LOOOOOOOW  :lol:

cheers
_Eric

1FATGMC

I'm here  :lol:, and I think I understand what you want to do and it sounds pretty good, but I would trust enjenjo's judgement over mine.

I originally tied my camaro clip straight into the GMC frame, but then since the cab is sectioned so much and there wasn't much legroom I decided to Z the frame under the cab.  I used 2 X 4 square tubing under the old frame and tied that to the old frame ahead and behind the cab with plates.  Then I cut the old frame out  and finished tieing the new square tubing to the old.

I put some holes in the Z plates on the side and welded those holes shut to the metal behind them.  

There are pictures on my site ( Frame Pictures   ).

Hope this helps a little,  Sum

41ChevyTrucker

Thanks Sum! From looking at your setup I think I am on track. I will try to post some photos of my templates and layout if I get to it this wknd.

I hadn't noticed your interior before that is pretty cool! I like the switches between the seats. That is the kind of stuff that makes a rod interesting to me.

cheers
_Eric

enjenjo

If you look at your clip, it has a factory Z built in. You can splice the tube into it anywhere along the  Z to get your frame just where you want it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you look at your clip, it has a factory Z built in. You can splice the tube into it anywhere along the  Z to get your frame just where you want it.

enjenjo I wish that was the case! The stock frame is flat. Here is a sketch.

So would you make the Z section a lug connector that overlaps both front and back sections of the frame? or would it be strong enough to just butt weld all the sections inline? :?

enjenjo

What is your clip out of?

If I was doing it, I would stack the tubing one above the other to get the amount of Z I wanted, weld it together, cut the profile I wanted, plate the bottom and top with 1/8" plate, then plate the sides with the same material, going a couple inches each way past the splice. the key is to have the welds staggered so you are not depending on just the weld to hold it together.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"What is your clip out of?

If I was doing it, I would stack the tubing one above the other to get the amount of Z I wanted, weld it together, cut the profile I wanted, plate the bottom and top with 1/8" plate, then plate the sides with the same material, going a couple inches each way past the splice. the key is to have the welds staggered so you are not depending on just the weld to hold it together.

That is basically what I did,  Sum

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"What is your clip out of?

That is basically what I did,  Sum

ok thatnks I had to think about that for awhile. So if I were to use 3/16" plate and piece together as pictured but overlap on each side I would end up with pretty much what you describe but without the layers. Stacking seem like an easier way to level everything out though.

Ok I think I have enough info to start building.

BTW The clip is what is left of my original frame.  Remember I am the nut who is going to keep the bumpy straight axle and white knuckle steering.  :lol:

enjenjo

I remember now. If you use the tubing method, 1/8" plate on the outside would be plenty, and a bit easier to smooth out when painting is done.