Crab Claw Headers, Chevys 49-54, Other projects Cars

Started by rooster, November 03, 2005, 11:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I have been working on this for a while and I have not completed the install but I see no reason why it won't work. I have installed the manifolds to check for clearance on a stock steering setup on a 49 Chevy 2/d styleline my son has. They may work on other project as well! If your looking for a stock exhaust to dump in a different location for clearance you might want to take a look at this. #10168495 LH, # 10168496 RH.

The manifolds used are from a 93 Buick station wagon with a LT1 engine, and all
Chevy's with LT1 engines . They should be good performers. They clear the steering box
cleanly  on a 49 chevy and drop down just in front of the oil filter. No trimming of the
firewall is necessary on the drivers side.. The exhaust pipe seen on the drivers side is right
off the Buick station wagon ASIS with the exception of the shilding removed and a hole
drilled !

[With the wheels turned full left the draglink just touches the pipe. A  hole will have to be
drilled into the manifold for them to be attached the SBC heads, and it will be a tight fit
(see picture).

There's more!
Now you can have a matching manifold for the passenger side; some trimming of the
firewall brace is required. (See picture}On the passenger side you will have to cap off
where the air fitting came out at the rear of the manifold (see picture) and drill an
additional hole in the manifold to bolt up to the head.{ See picture)

To clear the starter, a bolt will have to be used instead of a stud on 1 of the three studs
that hold the exhaust pipe to the header dump. Both manifolds need to be pluged where
the air lines connect, still looking for the right plug.
We haven't got the car together yet to try them out, but it looks like they should work.
They kind of looked odd at first, now we think their cock! We named them "Crab
Claws"!

phat46

Quote from: "rooster"I have been working on this for a while and I have not completed the install but I see no reason why it won't work. I have installed the manifolds to check for clearance on a stock steering setup on a 49 Chevy 2/d styleline my son has. They may work on other project as well! If your looking for a stock exhaust to dump in a different location for clearance you might want to take a look at this. #10168495 LH, # 10168496 RH.

those look slick, I bet they will help a lot of people.  They look like factory block huggers, only better!

GPster

That's a great piece of information and very nicely presented. GPster

Sean

Looks like they 'oughta flow pretty good. I'll bet they flow better than the Block-Huggers on my F100...

soldermonkey

That is very good and well presented.
The plug access is really good.
Does any one know how these work in a 46 - 48 Ford?

dave

48builder

a stainless hex head bolt to use. I think it is 3/4-13 thread. I could only get one that is too long, but I'll just cut it and then polish the head.

You say you removed the heat shields. Are you concerned at all about too much heat without them? I was going to polish mine and leave them on, but I think I would rather get them coated with that special ceramic coating.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

rooster

Quote from: "48builder"a stainless hex head bolt to use. I think it is 3/4-13 thread. I could only get one that is too long, but I'll just cut it and then polish the head.

You say you removed the heat shields. Are you concerned at all about too much heat without them? I was going to polish mine and leave them on, but I think I would rather get them coated with that special ceramic coating.

I used a stainless hex bolt only because thats what we had laying around in garage. From the factory the manifolds are attached using a 1/2" round spacer , and a regular bolt.

As for the heat I wouldent expect it to be any different from other manifolds.  The coating sounds nice!  Son is not using fuel injection so he will be pluging all the holes. He's working on that now!

rooster

Finished up the face lift of the crabs today. The air bosses were cut off  and a 3/8" steel pipe plug inserted in the hole then welded up with nickel rod then ground down. Also removed the small bosses for the drive rivets that secured the shielding, then removed the numbers and lettering with the ecption of "GM". Now all we need is a plug where the Oxygen sensor was on passenger side.

rooster

This will be my TECH post , if older post are ok! :D

RottenRodney

That looks like THE ticket for steerin' around a steerin' box like we used to do with the 265 manifolds.  Those ol' 265 pieces are gittin' scarce now, and the ports always needed to be enlarged to be used on anything other than a 265, then of course; they're still restrictive.  

Thanks for that...  It's gunna come in handy.  RR