"OLD" IFS question..HELP!!

Started by grumpy, September 27, 2004, 09:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

Hey everyone.

I just picked up a "A" chassis from a guy that was under his Grandpa's sedan.
It has what I thought was a old MII frontend, but after some talks with others, I'm told maybe not.

It has drum brakes, is 5-lug x 4.5 pattern, and has a rack that a MII.

Anyone know what this is for sure? I just want to freshen up with new rack, and fresh brakes for a el cheapo chassis under a "A" sedan as a driver.

Thanks, Tim
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

grumpy

Quote from: "grumpy"Hey everyone.

It has what I thought was a old MII frontend, but after some talks with others, I'm told maybe not.

Anyone know what this is for sure? I just want to freshen up with new rack, and fresh brakes for a el cheapo chassis under a "A" sedan as a driver.

Thanks, Tim

For some reason I can't add pics?! Hmm...1 more try
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

grumpy

Quote from: "grumpy"
Quote from: "grumpy"Hey everyone.

Thanks, Tim

For some reason I can't add pics?! Hmm...1 more try

Ok, I give up. pics won't work
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

GPster

I would guess that with drum brakes it goes back into the '60s or earlier. If it's that old and has a rack and pinion I'd almost guess it's foreign. If it's all together as original look in the tech section under the wheel bolt pattern and get some ideas but if it's a combination of parts then I'm afraid it's going to take some pictures. Back in the early '70sthere where a lot of misplaced racks put on Corvair but they where either 4 lug on 4 1/2" or 5 lug on 4 3/4" But looking in the tech section I see that early Pontiac Tempests had the right wheel pattern and a lot of their suspension designs copied Corvairs. GPster

enjenjo

QuoteOk, I give up. pics won't work

Your pictures are too wide or too high, or both. Has to be under 500 by 550 pixtels
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

grumpy

Quote from: "GPster"I would guess that with drum brakes it goes back into the '60s or earlier. If it's that old and has a rack and pinion I'd almost guess it's foreign. If it's all together as original look in the tech section under the wheel bolt pattern and get some ideas but if it's a combination of parts then I'm afraid it's going to take some pictures. Back in the early '70sthere where a lot of misplaced racks put on Corvair but they where either 4 lug on 4 1/2" or 5 lug on 4 3/4" But looking in the tech section I see that early Pontiac Tempests had the right wheel pattern and a lot of their suspension designs copied Corvairs. GPster
I don't know why the pics won't load.
I'll try again
Tim
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

grumpy

Quote from: "GPster"I would guess that with drum brakes it goes back into the '60s or earlier. If it's that old and has a rack and pinion I'd almost guess it's foreign. If it's all together as original look in the tech section under the wheel bolt pattern and get some ideas but if it's a combination of parts then I'm afraid it's going to take some pictures. Back in the early '70sthere where a lot of misplaced racks put on Corvair but they where either 4 lug on 4 1/2" or 5 lug on 4 3/4" But looking in the tech section I see that early Pontiac Tempests had the right wheel pattern and a lot of their suspension designs copied Corvairs. GPster
I'll try again
Tim
again
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

grumpy

I'll try again
Tim
again
again again
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

sport.

I'll try again
Tim
again[/quote

Sure looks like a Corvair.

Chad

grumpy

Quote from: "sport."
I'll try again
Tim
again[/quote
Trying for more

Sure looks like a Corvair.

Corvair
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks like FoMoCo or similar of some sort to me. Notice that the steering arms are integral to the spindle. Corvair steering arms bolted on to the spindle.

Pacer???
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Charlie's right about the steering arm bolting onto a Corvair spindle.  That's not a Corvair.  Here's a pic I just took of a 'vair, looking at it from the rear.

George

grumpy

Quote from: "purplepickup"Charlie's right about the steering arm bolting onto a Corvair spindle.  That's not a Corvair.  Here's a pic I just took of a 'vair, looking at it from the rear.

So what is the consensous?
Could it be volare, or another chrysler? since it has 5x4.5 bolt pattern?
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

enjenjo

My best guess is early Pinto, 71 or 72, with Maverick Hubs and drums on it. The early Pinto was a similar design to the 73 and newer Pinto/Mustang, but the rack mounted like the one in the picture, and it was more lightly built all round. My guess is the hubs were changed for a 5 bolt pattern.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

grumpy

Quote from: "enjenjo"My best guess is early Pinto, 71 or 72, with Maverick Hubs and drums on it. The early Pinto was a similar design to the 73 and newer Pinto/Mustang, but the rack mounted like the one in the picture, and it was more lightly built all round. My guess is the hubs were changed for a 5 bolt pattern.
So if I go to buy parts, like a new rack, should I ask for early pinto, and then maverick parts for the brakes?
Was maverick 5-lug?
I almost want to whack this off since the stock "A" crossmember is still there.
But cost-wise, it'd be cheaper to keep, unless someone has a i-beam frontend they'd like to sell me ?!?!!! LOL
Thanks everyone
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net