All things fuel injection. Thoughts, Brands, Installation, Tips, ...

Started by WZ JUNK, January 22, 2023, 08:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

A thread for those of us who are interested in converting to fuel injection.  I am currently in my second set up.  The first was the factory GM throttle body that I am using in my 54 Chevy.  That car has been driven over 20,000 miles without problems other than a stumble before it warms to operating temperature.  Currently I am installing a Holley Sniper on my old truck.  I will start posting updates and progress as I go along.

I chose the Holley for a number of reasons but primarily because I have the availability of a lot of local tech support.  I like the fact that a lot of the components are off the shelf GM.  My system will also use a factory GM pump in the gas tank.  Going in to this project with the Holley, my only problem with there design is that the computer is part of the throttle body.  I do not care for the computer in the heat and environment of the engine compartment.  However it must work because there are a lot of them on the road.

Feel free comment on any service, brand, installation, problems, or just anything that has to do with electronic fuel injection.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

I'll be interested to see how your conversion goes.

They weren't the first, but Fitech made the initial splash in bringing prices down with a proprietary throttle body stuffed with OEM parts. This one and Holley Sniper share that common design, with all the electronics riding on the throttle body. I see now that Summit and Jegs both have systems with their own branding on them which are built the same.

By all accounts you can run almost anything with a Microsquirt or Megasquirt system. Multiport, TBI, ignition control, boosted engines, nitrous...pretty much whatever. While it's DIY up to and including soldering up the control board if you want, the tuning is also really intensive. Good if it's something that interests you, One more thing with a learning curve if you don't.

At this point in the technology I think it would be very frustrating to get involved in an early EFI system of the sort which has to be tuned with a chip. The PIMPxs system is a Megasquirt-based system which puts later technology and flexibility into early Ford EFI systems.

One of the things which frustrates me about aftermarket EFI is that so few of them use an OBDII port. Maybe there's regulatory reason I don't know of, or maybe it's just that they don't want people playing with their proprietary systems. One of the reasons for the frustration is that there are some really good programs now to use a digital display as a dashboard using data from the EFI system. You need an OBDII port to run them, or you're stuck with the digital display sold by the EFI vendor. In that case options are limited and the units tend to be expensive.

I hope you didn't take your intent for the thread wrong, this is just free associating some of my thoughts on EFI conversions.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

You are on the money.  I intend to buy the adapter so that I can tune the Holley with a lap top in the future but that is a point in the distant future. 

The mega squirt would have been very interesting when I was younger.

Some of my old friends are hassling me for trying the fuel injection.  They still claim that a carburetor is the only fitting fuel system for a true hot rod.  That may be so.  If you stand at an intersection on a busy street and count the cars that you think may have carburetors, you will not count very many.  There are many reasons that nearly every vehicle today is electronically fuel injected. 
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

I looked at EFI many years ago, I think it was early Holley stuff? They were analog then.  I did not know what analog meant.  I talked around and decided to avoid the $$ expense and troubles.

I did a GM TBI conversion on a 1970 Chevy 4x4 truck for a friend. That was before the plug n play wire harnesses were on the market. I got the system working well. Used a Holley EFI pump on the frame rail with OEM fuel tank behind the seat. His MPG on the truck increased by 40% with no loss of power from the near stock 350cid engine. It was the old "plug in a chip" computer system.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rochie

I've been running a FItech injection system for about 5 years now. They came out in Jan. I think, and I bought in September. I've had two problems with it, one the 6 pin connector burnt through on the line providing 20 Amps to the fuel pump through 24 ga wire. And number two, was a wide open stuck injector.  That's it.  We took the car form London,ON. to Victoria BC for the Deuce Days show and no problems at all in a 7000 mile trip.

kb426

I am going to add some info that might help in purchasing. :)
The Summit, Jegs and Aces are the Fast Easy efi systems. They don't come with a regulator and have an ecu that can be mounted inside away from serious heat. The Summit and Jegs have a single O2 sensor. The Aces has 2 O2 sensors and the ability to control timing with the proper distributor. Aces is rated for higher hp. than the other 2. I read the Aces manual for their base model. I thought it was in a little plainer language than the Sniper that I recently used. Aces does have a stand alone model for LS's that offers trans control. I have no knowledge of whether Aces has a connection with Fast or they are just selling the similar throttle body. In the Fitech line is a similar setup. Fitech offers a unit for the older tuned port chevy's that has trans control, also. Installation of the wiring is very important. Any short cut may lead to RFI and erratic operation. We all know someone who got away with connecting the main power feed to the alternator instead of the battery. Do you want to find out if you are lucky? :) I believe in only having the pump in the tank. It needs to be a very clean tank. That real fine brown dust is enough to ruin a pump. I'm also a believer in having the correct size of pump. Most of the kits come with a large pump for 600hp. If you have only 300hp, the pump is bypassing constantly which aerates the fuel. If you by a Tanks unit with a 190 lt. pump, you will have plenty of capacity for 400 hp. Doing plenty of research prior to purchasing may help you buy the right parts the 1st time. I'm an absolute believer in efi. Finding the highest quality parts to ensure long life is very important to me. The sales of these units has been tremendous. The availability of info can help steer you in your purchase. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I am also a believer in EFI. Drivability, fuel mileage, and engine longevity are all improved with a well tuned EFI system. I was unaware of the Aces system, I have them up in another tab now and will comb through their website. Two fuel filters are often used on these systems. If you use an in tank pump that would be a 100 micron sock in the tank and a 10 micron filter after the regulator. With an external pump that would be a 100 micron before the pump and a 10 micron after. Some sources say you should use a stainless filter with gas that has any alcohol, but I'm convinced not all OEM filters are stainless. I guess that means check before buying. I know not everyone will agree with me on fuel that contains alcohol. I've burned it in everything I've owned since the 1970s when it first popped up as Gasohol. The most trouble I've had is a plugged fuel filter or two right after I start to use it, and that was years ago before it became the norm. Clean power is critical to everything with advanced electronics, from stereo gear to your home PC. Hey, you'll even mess up the reception on an AM radio if you don't do it right.

enjenjo

I am still up in the air about how to do EFI on my Stude. I located a Painless TBI EFI harness in my stash, and a Gm TBI throttle body. SO I have most of the parts needed to do it with what I have. Worst case I would have to get the computer reprogramed to use what I have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Did the Edelbrock EFI sump systems not work out for retrofit to older cars? Seemed like an easy fitment to avoid $$ new fuel tanks for EFI in older cars?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

A sump, or surge tank seems to work well  Here is a link to make your own  http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm  but there are several others pre-made available.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

That's a simple set up for a tank, but effective. Sometimes people use the mechanical fuel pump to fill the surge tank and an electric pump to get up to EFI pressure. That Simple Digital System looks like nice stuff. Should be, for experimental aircraft and race cars.

Rochie

That's exactly what I used on my 57.  A mechanical pump fills the reservoir and the high pressure pump in the reservoir feed the injectors

jaybee

Thinking about the great little surge tank Frank pointed out:

Fuel surge tank

You could add a submerged EFI pump to this by topping it with a tri-clamp ferrule, Teflon gasket, and cap end. Use a round fuel sock in the bottom to supply the required 100 micron filter. Fuel flowing down around the outside of the pump should keep it plenty cool.

kb426

One of my friends had the Fitech fuel command center on his truck. I don't remember is his came with the 255 or 340 lph pump. He had a 275 hp 350 in the truck. About 20 miles down the road, it would quit running properly. He figured out that is was vapor locking. Too much fuel pump capacity was percolating the fuel while operating. He moved the same pump to the tank and that was the end of the problem. That was 3 to 5 years ago and I see him everywhere I go with the same setup. He adapted that to his 5.3LS and is much happier. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

That seems to be a pretty common problem, and it can get bad enough to ruin the fuel pump. That's where a surge tank is actually superior. It constantly recirculates the excess fuel back to the tank. Some users are modifying the Fitech Fuel Command Center to do the same thing. They remove the float valve in the unit and convert the vent tube into a return line.
https://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=4420