rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: kb426 on September 25, 2021, 06:06:34 PM
I'm assuming that it has some kind of bedliner sprayed. It looks different from most I have seen.

My understanding is theres two kinds of lizard skin type stuff. One to block heat, one for sound. Fancy stuff with tight header room often gets both. Looks same as usual but I've never used any. Reportedly, thats a valid and effective approach.
Matt

chimp koose

I think there is a recipe either here or on the hamb for lizard skin . It is made of the glass spheres used in aircraft filler and plain old latex paint . I think you can get the spheres at aircraft spruce. I was thinking of mixing it with por15 or else some type of heat barrier paint to do the floor and insides of my coupe . It is all done in por15 right now.

chimp koose

I can hardly wait to see this car when it is finished . You have done many changes but they are all very tasteful .

enjenjo

Quote from: chimp koose on September 25, 2021, 10:18:01 PM
I think there is a recipe either here or on the hamb for lizard skin . It is made of the glass spheres used in aircraft filler and plain old latex paint . I think you can get the spheres at aircraft spruce. I was thinking of mixing it with por15 or else some type of heat barrier paint to do the floor and insides of my coupe . It is all done in por15 right now.

You can also get the glass spheres from Amazon too. I've done it with black latex paint and so far it has held up well.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rochie

I used 3M glass spheres (only because a friend works at 3M and I got a free sample) and mixed them with 2 part epoxy primer. Worked great for both heat and noise.

idrivejunk

Can somebody bump the needle on the phonograph please?   :arrow: :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

I said that ^^^ (after backspacing my pre-meds response) because... just like every time... someone mentions home made anytime the LS keyword pops up. Now I understand I am the odd man out, doing this as employment and all but listen please-

To an outsider or to me, it seems whats being implied is that my employer rips people off because he uses a pre-manufactured product. Step on my toes all you like but don't step on his. Think about it, OK? There should be no enigma, we always use the same thing and I try not to mention the name because I'm not advertising. Just nobody can remember ever seeing it before. Every time.

Thanks. I am not messed up about it but I could think up a reverse scenario to make the point if nobody still gets it.

I do appreciate the way folks quit asking what the black primer is. These are things I do not control so no level of persuasion from anyone, to me on my threads, will cause anything but the above peeve. Regardless of noble intent toward your fellow hobbyists being the reason for sharing brilliant and frugal recipies. That is a good topic for a tech post and a well read subject at the hokey place, and I'll say it out... I am aware of it.

Have some green.  :)

Matt

enjenjo

On my part there was no disrespect meant to you or your boss and how you do things. When I am working on a customer car I buy many of the parts I use, particularly if it's cheaper to them than me making it. I may use the same brands as you do on customer cars, or I may use other, but very few of them fit without at least some rework when doing custom work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I believe that every regular on this forum knows that it is not cost effective to pay an employee for home made items versus store bought. In watching the wonderful builds that you have shared with us, I have seen no sign of excess crapola. It takes good parts for high end builds. Nuff said. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I know better than to seriously think that was the idea behind any of it. I hope it didn't sound too gruff there, I felt a need to be clear and don't wish to discourage any input.

Its safe to say that lizard skin is an unfortunately successful brand, in that the name has suffered the same fate as bondo.

FWIW, in the green pic thats got 3M no cleanup rocker guard under it. Which I can say free of discomfort because it is not a controversial product type. Right? Maybe I missed the rock guard in the wife's blender using house paint and Elmer's glue with sawdust and busted longnecks, or... whatever a guy wants to put through a schutz gun and call rock guard... thread. In the case of sprayable insulating and deadening materials, I would question equivalency vs cost but that is not an answerable question without facts.
Matt

chimp koose

If I were a shop owner I would do it like you guys too . Paying shop rates to mix up a concoction that may or may not work would be senseless . If a known product fails you have recourse with the manufacturer. Also the resale value may be higher with known quality products used throughout on a job shop build . You guys are not a back yard shop , I would expect no less than products with a good reputation to be used .

idrivejunk

Exactly. What I can suggest and what I can do in my garage is two different things. And people expect names they have heard. ;)

And now...

Now thats a war machine   :twisted:
Matt

idrivejunk

O...K...  :o so today its a desert war machine.  ???

I don't know why and ain't gonna ask. About the engine color change. :-X

Serious Model A activity in both buildings! This is the TCI chassis getting loaded up. My first look at it painted, same as you.  :)

Matt