The saga of the Buick, or why nothing is done on my Studebaker

Started by enjenjo, August 17, 2022, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

A little over a year ago I sold my 65 Buick Sport wagon to my grandson Josh. I had the engine blow up in New Mexico, failed timing chain, in 2003 or so on the way back from Bonneville.               

I got it home and found the crankshaft was broken, and the front main cap pulled out of the block. It took me three years to find a good block to rebuild locally. I went through the engine, and while I had it out I built a T200R4 to go behind it. I also rebuilt the front suspension, Installed a dual master cylinder, and installed disc brakes on the front. I also converted the AC to R134.

About that time I got really busy with customer cars, so I put the Buick into dry storage, and it set, for about 10 years before Josh bought it. I retired from customer cars last fall shortly after I sold it to Josh.

So Josh Started finishing things up. And setting hadn't helped it. He had to replace most of the brake system, master cylinder, combo valve, rear wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums. By the way most of those parts ae Sport wagon only. New carburetor, I had fuel injection on it, new fuel pump, I had blocked that off, clean and coat the fuel tank, no sending unit available I made one. I had locked out the advance anticipating EFI so we replaced the distributor. I had to build a new steering column because Josh wanted a column shift, and a new neutral switch since the original would not work with the new column, and no one makes an aftermarket remote switch for a 200R4.

We fired it up the first part of July and broke in the cam, but there was a problem with the shift linkage. No park. The next time we fired it the oil pressure went away. >:( By this time I was having a bathroom remodeled, and the vendor quit after doing the demo, and getting paid $3500. So that became my priority and I called my buddy to fix the Buick. I got it in last week, and he found a gasket pushed out on the oil pump pickup. :o he also did the alignment and a couple other small things. So last Wednesday I drove it back over to Josh's house and parked it.

Wednesday night the reverse went out on the transmission backing it into the garage. So Sunday I picked up another core trans to get rebuilt, it will be ready Friday. Back to the shop for installation. Bonus I got a 4L60E core along with it for $40.

The plumbing is done on the bathroom and it's ready for drywall.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Know any good blacktop pavers in my area?  I'm having trouble getting anyone to even come and give me a quote. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

That sounds like most of my project Frank.
Vickie asks how long will it take and I say two hours. The last two hours.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

jaybee

Wow, good thing you found someone to sell it to before it started having trouble!   :lol:

Oops, I guess that didn't work out at all.

Glad everything is making progress...except for the Stude. I'm glad you brought us all up to date, I was wondering about it within the past couple of days.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

To top it off, I have had a bat in the house  for the last two nights. The bat is no longer with us, he had a fight with a tennis racquet and lost.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: enjenjo on August 18, 2022, 09:27:44 PM
To top it off, I have had a bat in the house  for the last two nights. The bat is no longer with us, he had a fight with a tennis racquet and lost.

I would have paid good money to see you chasing a bat with a tennis racket. :)
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

The rebuilt transmission is in, and works like it should. So Saturday Josh and I did the final tune (hah!) on the carburetor and reset the timing. It seems to very thirsty so far but I think we cured that.

jaybee

chimp koose

You should have used a badminton racket , they are made for 'birdies' :lol:

39deluxe

That's the way things seem to go around here too. About the time I think I'm making progress on my list something else pops up.

Tom

enjenjo

Here are some pictures of Josh's Buick. The two kids are his son and daughter.

jaybee

Love it. I've always liked the GM wagons with the roof windows. When I was a kid I thought that would be the best seat in the car.

That all ended when I could drive, obviously. :)

enjenjo

chimp koose

Leave the patina , but ,that roof is screaming for silver metalflake !

58 Yeoman

Cool car.  The 12' skeleton is cool too.  They've started popping up around here.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil