Where to begin ?

Started by john zemba, February 12, 2004, 10:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john zemba

It is similir to corvette forum, looks good, I guess my first question is where do I pick up measurements or where do I begin. I got a 29 frame and body , now what{ I realize grinding etc, }I guess I want to work on frame and suspension first right? What suspension is best

enjenjo

Fendered or highboy? Traditional or high tec? What engine? How you going to use it? What's the budget? Lots of questions need to be answered to give you a good answer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

john zemba

fendered, traditional, wishbone  or mustang II? 350 auto, just cruising the shows and on weekends, budget---now u r getting tough. not sure  on that one, 5 year project , money is an object but  want the better of the picks, wi;ll do all work myself I think. Started getting topics, magazines and cataloges to ssee where I am going.

enjenjo

Ok, all that helps. If you are going fendered, that kind of rules out the Mustang front end. It can be made to fit, but the front fenders have to be bubbled for clearance, even with tubular control arms, and the rack interferes with the splash apron. You can use a rear steer rack to eliminate the splash apron problem, and one of several kits that cost a bit more, but eliminate the fender bubble, but they are not Mustang based, and IMHO the car looks too busy from the front then. That kind of leaves a straight axle.

your choice in straight axles are tube and beam, and how much drop. I like the look of a tube axle, but the beam is more traditional, and most people use a 4" drop or so, with a reversed eye spring, it makes the car set nice. Since it's full fendered, I would use a 4 link to clear out the engine bay for more room.

If the car will be just driven locally, a 350 turbo is fine, if long distances are anticipated I would go for a 700R4 for a little more versatility.

Rearend in the 3.50 gear range, 8" or 9" Ford, 8 3/4 Mopar, or 10 bolt GM will all work. You can go with a triangulated 4 link in the rear, and use either a buggy spring, or coil over shocks for suspension. most times a 4" Z is done to the rear of the frame to get the right stance.

Tires about 25" tall in the front, 29 to 30" tall in the rear, your choice of wheels, but not over 16" rims IMHO.

That's my vision, but your's may vary with no adverse consequences. :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

John,

Have you a Barnes & Noble or other major bookseller in your area. There are a number of really good Chassis building books out there. Tex Smith has a new one out in the last couple months, there is a good one with a SoCal '32 on the front that is sorta aimed at Dueces but it has a lot of good ideas, techniques, there is a Street Rod Magazine derived book called How to Build a Street Rod, I think. You can't buy enough of these sort of books whether you are a newbie to the hobby or even an old hand.

Welcome to the board.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

HotRodLadyCrusr

Mike Bishop's "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod" is awesome.  Even if you don't plan on going the whole tradtional route there is a ton of great info in it.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

john zemba

Thanks guys , that is certainly a beginning. I have a daughter in Colunbus Ohio next to a Barnes&Noble so  I'll hint about the books.   I am sure I'll be on again  in the future, thanks.