What Hooley and WZJUNK have been doing.

Started by 1FATGMC, June 22, 2004, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I thought some of you might be interested in what John has been doing.

Two years ago he came to Utah with some of his friends from Mo. and Okl. and we all went to B'ville together.  Well as sometimes happens one of them, Hooley from OK was bitten bad by the salt.  I didn't find out until this spring that he was working on a Stude for the salt with hopes of running 200.  He has an A Sedan and a 56 Chevy wagon with a '55 frontend on it that he runs at the drags (John could tell you more about those cars).  He also has a Stude that he runs on the streets (see next picture) and was getting parts off of another one at a junkyard when he decided he want to go land speed racing, so he bought the junkyard stude and started to work on it.

He basically just had a body from the cowl back.  He has made the frame and all the suspension for the car.  The next picture shows where he was back a couple months ago when I went to Missouri and had my transmission problems.  I took him the close ratio Muncie that I will use in my lakester for him to use.  He was so kind to give me a 200R4 that I put in the Buick after the TH200 blew up, plus he trailered me a long way.  

John lives about 70-80 miles from him and he decided to jump in and help Hooley who has a lot to do before August.  First John got the doors and did the body work on them and returned them to Hooley and then got the rear quarter panels and worked them over good.  Just the other day Hooley brought the rest of the car over to John (see next picture) so that he could finish the body, rear deck and the frontend while Hooley was in Alaska with his wife.  The front is a glass piece Hooley bought this spring.

Hooley is on the left and John on the right.  John it looks like you have done real good so far  :P .  I can't wait to see the whole car done.

Hooley has sent in his entry fee for Speedweek, so he is determined that the car will be on the salt in August.  He has a ways to go, but seems to be up to the task.  Plans are for him and John to bring the car out, coming through Blanding and I'll go up with them and help them in the pits and use 1FATGMC to pull the stude to the starting line.  This is going to be a great experience and I can hardly wait.

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

Well, I have another reason to go to Utah in august.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, I have another reason to go to Utah in august.

Wow; that looks great; can't wait to see it.

purplepickup

Nice update Sumner :D   I've been catching bits and pieces of the progress on the Stude.  I wasn't sure if Hooley was planning on running this year or not.  He sure doesn't let any grass grow under his feet.  The man knows how to have fun.....plus he's a really nice guy.  I was real impressed with his sedan when he was thrashing it at HAMB drags last year.

It sounds like WZJUNK is putting in a good amount of effort on the Bonneville car too.  Hopefully he will be at Bonneville this year too.

This just give me another thing to look forward to at Bonneville this year. :D  Are you still going to tolerate a few of us showing up at your place the week before Bonneville?
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"Are you still going to tolerate a few of us showing up at your place the week before Bonneville?

So far I think Benny and Lillie from Texas are coming and maybe only you are coming, but anyone is welcome to stop.

I am keeping Thursday free to go out on a hike and a car day trip with anyone who shows up.  Hopefully they would get in here by Wed. night so we can go out early Thrus. before it gets hot.  You can come in any time that week you want and you can sleep in "Your" camper  :lol: .

Hooley and John are coming in Thursday night and we will leave Friday morning for b'ville and to set up his pits.  I won't be stopping at Bo's, but anyone else that wants to can.

I'm leaving in an hour or so for Pueblo, so if you need to get back to me about this I will be back next Monday.

c ya, Sum

Dirk35

Cool, now all we need to do is to lower the one on the left! HeHe!
That looks cool as hell John!

WZ JUNK

Things are getting really crazy as we are running out of time to get the car ready.  I am trying to get the main body and the roll cage in paint by the weekend.  Today I shot on a heavy coat of a product call Rust Defender sprayable bondo.  It is a great product for something like this but I put on several coats and it is raining.  It is a catalyzed product and between the humidity and the cool temperatures, it would not set up or dry.  I closed up the shop and turned the gas furnace up to 90 degrees.  I can not remember using the furnace on the last day of June.  Tonight I have been in the shop trying to work with the furnace on while the primer is curing.  This hot rod stuff sure is fun.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I can not remember using the furnace on the last day of June.  This hot rod stuff sure is fun.

I guess now I know where the "hot" in hot rod comes from :shock: .

I sent you an e-mail with the tech inspectors phone number along with another number that might help.

Tell Larry he has to come in for more hours.

c ya, Sum

river1

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I closed up the shop and turned the gas furnace up to 90 degrees.  I can not remember using the furnace on the last day of June.  Tonight I have been in the shop trying to work with the furnace on while the primer is curing.  

THATS why it was so HOT today in AZ!!

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.