Motor mounts for Nailhead

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, March 06, 2007, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Motor mounts for the nailhead in the '32 proved to be problematic. The mount pads are on the very front sides of the engine. At first I fabbed up some brackets that used common SBC side mounts, however the frame portion would have severely interfered with the cross steer set-up.

Then I worked out a pair of engine brackets that would use CE biscuit mounts. The base of these brackets were the steel base out of the stock Buick mounts. They were still attached to the engine, less the rubber portion, when I got it.

I got so busy on the frame brackets that I forgot to take pics until they were done. Since the drivers side needed to be right over the Vega box I made the uprights start inside the frame and slant up towards the engine, then made a piece vertical from the inner edge of the rail to tie the 2 uprights together. Finished them off with a curved piece and a flat top for the  CE cushion to set on. The drivers side still needs the  steering box bracket/adaptor welded in but looks essentially like the passenger side.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Nice job. looks like the termites have been in your metal supply.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

He's saving the shavings to get money from the scrap to buy more steel to drill more holes. :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

Quote from: "phat rat"He's saving the shavings to get money from the scrap to buy more steel to drill more holes. :lol:
I use my hole saws to make holes like that. Then I save the pieces I cut out to increase my supply of 1/4" fender washers. That's my tech tip but no pictures. GPster

sirstude

Mighty Purdy there Charlie.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

jaybee

Hey, a few artistic lightening holes really purty them things up!  Nice work.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)