1972 F100 rust pile

Started by kb426, March 18, 2018, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Just in case any of you thought I had enough fun: this will be another project down the road. I don't know how fast or when. :) When you look at the pics, you'll see it might be one of those rust free Colorado trucks you see listed. :) The pics are of a 2007 Crown Vic P71 cop car, a donor cab with a good floor, and the rust bucket.
TEAM SMART

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Good picks and good pics!  :)   All it needs is some of that what you're going to do. );b(
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Oops!

YIPPIE   :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:   Another Mustang type car  & drivetrain :!:  :!:  We LIKE those  :!:  :!:  :roll:  :oops:

I will bet you lunch that the pick-up has been "under water".... :roll:

Did it go to Colorado by way of Houston  :?:  :?:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

my first truck was a 68 mercury , blue and white with a 360 fe motor , 3 on the tree .

Crosley.In.AZ

Good friend of mine and a sharp mechanic. Lives in Wesconsin ...He bought a Ford F-100 short bed from AZ a couple yrs ago. 300 inline 6 and granny low 4 speed , as I recall.

He installed the whole power train & front suspension from a Crown Vic with 4.6 V8.  He kept it all OEM engine - trans management systems.  he is good with automotive electronics.

Sold the truck soon after.  He said enough cash was offered.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Well you know that truck isn't from Michigan, the last '72 returned to the earth in 2006... 😂😉

kb426

I cleaned up the donor cab some last night. It was warm enough this afternoon that I decided to do a little work. I had to cut all the bolts that held the bed on. It's ready to be removed. I gave the remainder a bath. I removed the fasteners on the seat so I could clean and inspect. I won't be able to make a decision about where to cut on the can until it's removed and cleaned enough to see where the rust stops. The seller found the keys and the carb that goes with the engine. I may try to start it. I'm curious what I bought. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I cleaned up the donor cab some last night. It was warm enough this afternoon that I decided to do a little work. I had to cut all the bolts that held the bed on. It's ready to be removed. I gave the remainder a bath. I removed the fasteners on the seat so I could clean and inspect. I won't be able to make a decision about where to cut on the can until it's removed and cleaned enough to see where the rust stops. The seller found the keys and the carb that goes with the engine. I may try to start it. I'm curious what I bought. :)

Try turning it over by hand FIRST  :!:   It still looks to me that the truck was under water at some time .... :roll:   Too much of an even coating of dust/silt.....

Bob... :wink:

kb426

Bob, it turns over by hand. I had a battery charger hooked up and the dash lights came on and the starter clicked. I think one of the owners washed the cab out alot and that was the reason the floor is gone. This truck came from Oklahoma in the early 2000's. I have no history past that. It was a Kansas City build. Maybe the owner visited the rust belt. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today's task was to cut down the donor cab to get to the floor. The main cab brace has damage but the rest appears solid. This looks like a job for IDJ. :) He could do this over lunch break and be back at 1! :) I believe that before the cab is repaired, it's gonna be 5 oclock somewhere. LOL
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Today's task was to cut down the donor cab to get to the floor. The main cab brace has damage but the rest appears solid. This looks like a job for IDJ. :) He could do this over lunch break and be back at 1! :) I believe that before the cab is repaired, it's gonna be 5 oclock somewhere. LOL

Well.. In a word or 2:  Yikes!

Have fun.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Got plasma?

KB, see if you follow me here... I see options.  :idea:

You can:

Surgically separate panels until you have the whole floor, blast, patch, etc. :roll:

Keep your existing seat and tunnel pans and any "solid"-esque bracing out in the middle, harvest only clean beaded footwell areas from the donor (really no sin to bead roller a step then overlap and plug, if its yours), and lop off all that crusty perimeter from both existing and donor... and make simple flanges new. :)

Or... before I can even inhale a sandwich you could sawzall the whole mess, forget the donor, have tubular bracing in place, and be laying cardboard. You would open up component placement options that way, make it easier on yourself perhaps. Donor floor stays sellable, too.

Food for barf. I mean thoughts of rust. Aww... is there anything in my teeth? :D  Pass the Binaca. :lol:
Matt

kb426

Matt, I'm not going to make a decision until I get the cab off and examine it closely. My 1st thought is to only cut out bad portions and make repair panels from the donor. When I figure out how everything is welded together, that may change. :) I don't think there is a drain hole in the door hinge post. That contributed to the vanishing sheet metal in the cab. When I cut the donor apart, it was full of dirt. There maybe some advantages in living in a semi-arid climate. The donor was sold new in my town. :) I'm determined not to need barf bags. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Gee ...Up here that's a clean one ... :roll:   Too nice to cut up .... :lol:

Bob... :wink: