master cyl question

Started by 57larry, June 23, 2022, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

I got another question guys.....have a 40 Ford sedan with a chevy 350/350 disc brakes, fron & rear.  master cyl under the floor 1" bore has 2 residual valves, 6 inch power booster with a vacuum canister.

problem: brake pedal goes to the floor, car stops but I don't like the feel. disc brakes are wilwood, master cyl setup from ECI

thanks for any advice

chimp koose

57larry

yes, soft pedal, bled many times

chimp koose

Do all the calipers have the bleeder screws right at the top? Do you have any of those through the frame brake line fittings ? Those 2 things can cause 'air pockets' in the system . Master was bench bled ? What is the pedal ratio?

57larry

chimp koose

Fully bled and pedal goes to the floor . Is the volume of your master cyl able to supply the volume used in the calipers ?I would think with 1" bore it would . Does your pedal allow for a full stroke in the master cyl before it gets to the floor ?

phat46

Any chance the MC is bad. Not uncommon nowadays to be bad out of the box.

slocrow

57Larry; As much as I relent from responding with advice, based upon my limited knowledge, I remember back 20 years ago when a member had a similar problem. He resolved his issue and a second members same problem by replacing the power booster canister with, in their cases a used Astro van unit, from the boneyard. They wanted one that was working hense the used boneyard part. Solved both issues quickly from soft to lock-up. I believe if the residual valves are holding then the booster canister is your issue. Hope I'm correct and your issue gets resolved. Let us know, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Bruce Dorsi

Does the pedal go to the floor on a quick double-pump?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

57larry

I'm done! taking out the master cyl & booster, going back to manual brakes. thanks  for all the advice

GPster

Are the master cylinder and the booster a factory pair? Maybe the rod between the two is too long and not letting the brake cylinder retract all the way and letting the master cylinder re-fill with fluid. GPster

57larry

master cylinder, pedal, booster are from a kit from ECI

chimp koose

Go to the HAMB and look up a thread called " BRAKE BLEEDING!? " it was posted by ' Jaw 22 ' .  On the 8th page of the thread he finds the problem . It caught me by surprize but would be worth a look on any system , especially those with under floor m/c .

57larry

thank you for the link, chimp

chimp koose

you are welcome . Those are the threads I like to read as a guy can usually learn something.