There B go dah neighborhood -- Pitchers of Cars, etc.

Started by RottenRodney, February 12, 2007, 02:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RottenRodney

Hello Kniggitts!

Would this be an appropriate place for a little combo intro/show & tell?

My name is Rotten, and I'm an autoholic...

Above: That's me back in sixty-seven, rowin' the 39-box in my little ol' twenty-nine Tub.  Well, actually, it was my dad's car back then.

The Tub looks a little different now, but come to think of it, so do I.

Here's a few more:

Above: This twenty-six Tudor was my daily work commuter back in the early eighties.  I was late for work on this particular day, and the whole * town knew about it.

I was in my early twenties when I screwed up and 'restored' it.  After the Tub hit the road, the 'T' was relegated to a railroad storage container for nineteen years.  During that time, the container had sunken into the ground, to the point where the doors couldn't be opened.  My personal time-capsule was reopened recently, however.

One of the better things I've ever done, was: drain the gas.

We were lucky.  The 'T' stored very well...

Here she is, (just a few months ago) upon arrival to her new home; Gopher Grove.  Since then, the Rottenchester down-draught has been freshened up, there's a new battery installed, and a fresh case of fluids is waitin' to go in.  

I wonder what I would have done if the container hadn't sunk.  I now believe I'm ready to appreciate her Model 'T'ness.  The plan is to change the rollin' stock some.  The Bozo yellow will make way for a more sinister shade of dark red, and the whitewalls will be replaced by big and little blackwalls, and a ride-highth adjustment is in the works, but we're busy right now...

Meet my partner in crime: Mrs. Rotten.  She builds stuff too...

She ain't afraid of gittin' dirty...

MR (Mrs. Rotten) is a welder/fabricator by trade.  She helps me alot, and I'm real proud of her.

The forty-seven Studie M-5 receiving attention above is an ol' highschool Auto-Shop project that I never finished.  It's MR's truck now, and it's gittin' done.

What else can I show yawl??  Oh, I know...

We play with cars at work as well.  Pitcherd above is our little red shop-truck...

We use it for haulin', as well as haulin' stuff, like shop-supplies, etc.

Perhaps I aughtta stop here, before I use up all my space.  Thanks for puttin' up with all that.  Lookin' forward to gittin' aquainted with yawl.  RR

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

sirstude

Nice toys, and I think we should move that picture of your hands to the tech site. I could use the lettering myself.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Leon

Even has a paint booth 8)   I may just have to come down your way sometime....

DRD57

yer brave, you even showed 'em the rod run.

you forgot a picture of the rust rocket

and they'd probably like to see a picture of the field where you grow those studebakers

RottenRodney

Quote from: "DRD57"yer brave, you even showed 'em the rod run.

you forgot a picture of the rust rocket

and they'd probably like to see a picture of the field where you grow those studebakers

Aaaah!  I know you!!  Don, you oh so read my mind regardin' the field O Studes, but I thought of that too late.  See, 'round here (at least as near as I can figger so far) ya only git an hour to edit yer posts, so unfortunately, all must endure the boring Deuce stuff I so hastily posted.  

I'll adjust the contrast-control ASAP.  Stay tuned...   :wink:   RR

RottenRodney

Arright, this one is . . . wait, Eye can't see that . . . There, that's much better.  

This one is by request:

The "RUST ROCKET!"  Bonus points for anyone (other than DRD) who can correctly identify the caster of the shadow in the left-lower corner.

This one is also by request:

The "FIELD OF STUDES!"  Yes, we grow them here...

Above: This is another highschool Auto-Shop project of yore.  The first engine I ever overhauled still purrs like a pussy . . . er, kitten.  I'm not quite as proud of my first flame-job, however...

The second time I flamed a Stude, it looked a little more like this:

"You Name It -- We Flame It!"  I sure wish I had a better pitcher...  RR

Grandadeo

Great pics.  We love the pics around here.  Some day I'll learn how to post them.  One question, are the wheels on the '32 5 window stock '50 Mercs that have been chrome plated?  I will be running painted '50 Mercs on my '48 panel truck project which is still the early Ford 5 1/2" bolt circle.  I keep asking all the wheel vendors I see if they make a 4 1/2" bolt circle wheel that will accept a stock '50 Merc hubcap and they just look at me like I have two heads as if to say, why would anyone want a wheel like that.  Would love to run them on my '32 roadster.  I'll just keep asking.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

39deluxe

RottenRodney

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I keep asking all the wheel vendors I see if they make a 4 1/2" bolt circle wheel that will accept a stock '50 Merc hubcap and they just look at me like I have two heads as if to say, why would anyone want a wheel like that.  Would love to run them on my '32 roadster.  I'll just keep asking.

Lee

Thanks, for the feedback, yawl . . . wait, hold on . . . there, that's better.  May I be so bold?  It helps me see what I'm sayin'.

Anyway, you guys seem really coool, and I think I like it here arready.

Lee, you may have pushed my button, regarding the chrome Merc wheels.  My dad told me how he did his back in the late-fifties/early-sixties: He says that they were impossible to chrome in one piece.  The plating just wouldn't go in the deeper areas, so he'd separate the rims from the centers, have them plated in pieces, then put them back together using Chevy torque-convertor bolts.  I love those stories.  Anyway, today we have more options.  The wheels on the Deuce I'm doin' are new.  I got the 'Show Special' price on them from Stockton Wheel at the LA Roadster Show.  I should also mention that after payin' for them up front, I waited, and waited, and waited, but eventually, I was pleased with what I got.  The 'new' Merc wheels (at least the ones I'm usin') have the late Ford bolt pattern, and they'll git along with calipers as well.  They're pretty on the A-side.  The B-side, however -- not so pretty.

Here's a pitcher of one with it's nuts exposed:

The caps I'm usin' are nice quality re-pops, from Mr. Drake, and If you're gunna run your wheels painted, I've got a little paint-savin' tip I'd like to share with ya.  Perhaps I'll post that on the big-table in the next day or two.  It'll help me git my little feets wet.  RR

Grandadeo

Quote from: "RottenRodney"
Quote from: "Grandadeo"I keep asking all the wheel vendors I see if they make a 4 1/2" bolt circle wheel that will accept a stock '50 Merc hubcap and they just look at me like I have two heads as if to say, why would anyone want a wheel like that.  Would love to run them on my '32 roadster.  I'll just keep asking.

Lee

Thanks, for the feedback, yawl . . . wait, hold on . . . there, that's better.  May I be so bold?  It helps me see what I'm sayin'.

Anyway, you guys seem really coool, and I think I like it here arready.

Lee, you may have pushed my button, regarding the chrome Merc wheels.  My dad told me how he did his back in the late-fifties/early-sixties: He says that they were impossible to chrome in one piece.  The plating just wouldn't go in the deeper areas, so he'd separate the rims from the centers, have them plated in pieces, then put them back together using Chevy torque-convertor bolts.  I love those stories.  Anyway, today we have more options.  The wheels on the Deuce I'm doin' are new.  I got the 'Show Special' price on them from Stockton Wheel at the LA Roadster Show.  I should also mention that after payin' for them up front, I waited, and waited, and waited, but eventually, I was pleased with what I got.  The 'new' Merc wheels (at least the ones I'm usin') have the late Ford bolt pattern, and they'll git along with calipers as well.  They're pretty on the A-side.  The B-side, however -- not so pretty.

Here's a pitcher of one with it's nuts exposed:

The caps I'm usin' are nice quality re-pops, from Mr. Drake, and If you're gunna run your wheels painted, I've got a little paint-savin' tip I'd like to share with ya.  Perhaps I'll post that on the big-table in the next day or two.  It'll help me git my little feets wet.  RR

Insert Clever Words Here: You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but ya can't pick your friends nose!

Stockton was one of the vendors I talked to at the Roadster show last year with no luck.  Since your wheels have the outside nubs, do they accept the larger stock '50 Merc caps (approximately 11") or are the repop Merc type caps smaller like say the '50 Ford passenger car?  Hope that made sense.  Thanks.  

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

RottenRodney

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Hope that made sense.  Thanks.  

Lee

Yow!  It kinda echoes in here, and Eye'm seein' double now...  Hang on, I'll be right back...  Okay, I'm back.  The repro caps measure 10 1/4" across, where they'd pop over the bumps.  I've suspected that might be a smaller diameter than the original as well.  When the repop Merc caps are on the repop Merc wheels, they're very convincing.  

Stockton Wheel and Bob Drake.  RR  

Carps

Hey Rodney are those old fotoes or have you been slackin off.  I'da figured that doocekoop should be finished long ago.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

39deluxe

Ever since I first read this thread I have been trying to think of ways to get my wife to work in the shop at night. Anyone have any suggestions?

river1

Quote from: "39deluxe"Ever since I first read this thread I have been trying to think of ways to get my wife to work in the shop at night. Anyone have any suggestions?

new wife????? :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.