$200 HF Tig Welder

Started by Mac, December 15, 2007, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Speaking of HF....Anybody ever try one of these???

6" x 48" BELT AND 9" DISC COMBINATION SANDER  

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6852

I bought one almost like that at Grizzly Tools.  Works great and I use it every day.  I wanted a 12" Disc but the 9" works okay.  They were about the same price when I bought mine but now they are more expensive.

http://grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Thanks for the info on the sander... 8)... How do the discs attach to the backing plate?? PSA discs like on a DA-only bigger?? Any problems with using 80 or 60 grit discs??  Now...If I can only make Santa believe..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Mac, see if you can find a high freq. unit to plug into your ac-dc machine and buy the tig torch and you're ready to go. I've used this combo for years. It isn't as nice as a real good machine but not much money either.
TEAM SMART

donsrods

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Thanks for the info on the sander... 8)... How do the discs attach to the backing plate?? PSA discs like on a DA-only bigger?? Any problems with using 80 or 60 grit discs??  Now...If I can only make Santa believe..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yep, they have a peel and stick backing on them.  That is another thing I don't like about the HF sanding discs, the glue melts on from the heat of grinding and you need a heat gun to remove them.  We do have a HF 12 inch disc sander and it is terrific, but the sanding discs are the problem.  I have to find a local source for 3M or Norton.  I have used even 50 grit or 36 grit and it still works fine.

Don

UGLY OLDS

QuoteYep, they have a peel and stick backing on them.  That is another thing I don't like about the HF sanding discs, the glue melts on from the heat of grinding and you need a heat gun to remove them.  We do have a HF 12 inch disc sander and it is terrific, but the sanding discs are the problem.  I have to find a local source for 3M or Norton.  I have used even 50 grit or 36 grit and it still works fine.

Don
[/quote]

Thanks Don ....Ya got me sold ... :D Now where did I put that Santa list..... :?  :?  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mac

Quote from: "kb426"Mac, see if you can find a high freq. unit to plug into your ac-dc machine and buy the tig torch and you're ready to go. I've used this combo for years. It isn't as nice as a real good machine but not much money either.

Please to `splain "high freq. unit" KB. Who makes them? Where can you get one? Does it employ a pedal control? Could this be what somebody described to me as a "freak box"?
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

High frequency generator. This is a 120 volt unit that is plugged into your welder that provides the spark so you don't have to make contact to start an arc. There is no control on them. I did a quick search and came up with no results. The one I have is a Sears that was probably made by 20th century years ago. I'm sure somebody still makes them but I don't know where to tell you to look.
TEAM SMART