What the mock up looked like before frame paint

Crosley.In.AZ

should have lower'd it a bit.

:wink:  :wink:

looks good
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

Yeah, but the ground kept getting in the way.  Here is a picture of the frame, after he got it painted. It is airbagged, so he can raise it up to 8 inches , but he plans to drive it at 4 inches ride height.

donsrods

This is what makes the airbag system all work. It takes a whole lot of solenoids, valves, and other stuff I don't understand. He has bagged a lot of Chevy s 10 trucks, etc, but this is the first Hot Rod he has built from the ground up. He has built every bracket and crossmember from scratch, and I am so proud of the work he does.

donsrods

Here is the rear view of his frame.

donsrods

And Finally, here is the engine. It is a 455 Olds, now 461 cubes, with forged pistons, a radical Crane cam, and topped with a tripower set up from a '66 Olds 442 (W-30) He doesn't have room for the exhaust to run under the car  (the car sits right on the ground when he deflates the air bags) so he is going to build a set of zoomies with motorcycle baffles in each one. That should keep the cops happy.................NOT. But what the heck, it wouldn't be a hot rod without some noise, right?

He has some concerns about those 7:00 x 16 skinnies on the back being able to take the power, but the race prepped turbo 350 should soften the blow a little.

We were shooting to have the car done for Daytona Turkey Run at Thanksgiving 2005, and he was working on it 16-20 hour days, but it just didn't happen. Too much to do yet. So he has backed off and is taking his time again, and we should have his and mine on the road by summer.

chopt50ford

Seen this on a few other boards...Superb fabrication and clean work!

ROB

art.flame

Dirty31

tell him to join over here, I have been watching his build up

39deluxe

Love the Olds. Keep the pics coming.

Tom

donsrods

Thanks guys, since the last time I posted pix, the car has gone under the knife.  He turned the fordor into a roadster pickup. He just loves to cut stuff up. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here are some of the latest pictures.

Don

donsrods

He just got done building the metal tonneau cover and having it punched with 204 louvers.  It is on hydraulic lifts, so it can be propped open for shows.

Don

T42

Holy cow Don, I didnt realize this started out to be that radical 4door in the first pics!  I love the way your son went with it.  There is some serious talent running amongst your family!! );b(

donsrods

Thanks Daniel.  Dan has really learned alot, and any more I hold stuff while he cuts and welds it.   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Don

donsrods

Just thought I post some updates.  Dan has been busy ordering some of the final pieces he needs to wrap this baby up.  He had Sanderson Headers build him a custom set for the 455, and they come with baffles.  We bolted them on last night, and I think they fit the look of the car very well.  I don't think the baffles will do much to quiet the Olds down a lot, but they say you can pack stainless steel scrub pads inside them to make it quieter.  We will have to see when we fire it up.

He also got his reproduction aircleaners for the 442 tripower setup, his chrome pulleys and alternator, and his bomber seats with covers.  He seems to have renewed enthusiasm to get this thing on the road, so progress on the body should start now again.

I dropped off his Wilson Welding front brakes and finned Buick drums at the machine shop today and should have those back next week,  In the meantime, here are some pictures of what it looked like last night.

Don