Hone-O-Drive (overdrive unit)

Started by 37 FORDGE, March 13, 2024, 12:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

37 FORDGE

Trying to do some research on the '60s/'70s overdrive unit known as a Hone-O-Drive.

Found some via Google searches, and I've known one person that had one on a '64-1/2 Ford Galaxie in the early 80s.  I've read that they are not as bulletproof as say a GearVendors unit, but the aspect of mounting off the pinion on an 8" or 9" intrigues me.  8" unit was a "100", 9" unit was a "200", and there was a stand-alone unit which was a "300".  I've read the 300s were used by Baldwin Motion etc.  Saw in a 4-speed trans thread in RRT that Richmond was remaking the hone-o-drive back in the mid 2000s.  But I can't find any info on them now.

I'm particularly interested in the "200", as I'll be utilizing it in front of a 9".  Vehicle is NOT raced, sometimes spirited starts, but with around 300HP now and never expecting more than 450HP out of my little Ford 351W, I'm not looking for mongo strength.  Unfortunately my application fits a C4 trans (had an FMX when originally build in the '80s, switched to C4 in the 2010s), and not enough room in frame center section for the GearVendors to hang off the tailhousing.  And an AOD is too wide in the pan rail not to mention the larger bellhousing area...  But exploring lots of options.

Really want to learn more about the Hone-O-Drive from those in this forum that probably saw them new...

enjenjo

The going price for a used Hone is higher than a new Gear Vendors Gear Vendors sell a kit to change from one transmission to another transmission model. They also sell a shorty Gear vendors for Ford C4 transmissions that is shorter than the stock tailshaft.

What chassis are you using?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

You might look at this youtube.com/watch?v=p9lS0kmOdVA This is using a Volvo Laycock overdive in a 32 Ford. Much smaller than a Gear Vendors which is based on the same mechanism. There also have been conversions made using a Borg Warner R11 over drive unit, I did one myself on a 400 turbo many years ago.

Crosley.In.AZ

As I recall, Hone overdrive production stopped decades ago...

I follow ol Marts Garage antics a few times.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

39deluxe

I remember the Hone units on the Baldwin Motion cars. Seems they were widely used in motor homes too. I wonder if there is such a thing as a motor home graveyard. What was the Borg Warner R11 used in?

Tom

enjenjo

The R11 was used by Ford, Studebaker Rambler, Hudson and GM and likely others at one time or another.