cowl reinforcement

Started by enjenjo, November 30, 2022, 12:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have a cowl here that I have had for some time that I want to use on a roadster. The cowl is sound, and straight but a bit thin from being in a fire at sone point. I would like to coat the inside of the cowl to make it a bit stiffer. I thought to possibly use Epoxy resin, and some light Fiberglass cloth on the inside. The cowl had been dipped, and I will use metal etch on it.

Thoughts? suggestions? GO pound sand?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Can you attach some type of inner braces?  Round tube?  Solid rod?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I've not crossed that path before. Glass reinforced bondo might be an option.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

You could skip primer and panel bond a thin aluminum layer to it.

Or use the reinforced filler that spreads like tuna-and-mayo-only salad on white bread, Upol Fibral, and just add a layer of that. Or continue to lay'er til she's satisfied.

Or fiberglass sticks without primer well too.

Or you could do fiberglass or filler and stick aluminum to that.

Or you could lay down plastic wrap and lay up a fiberglass layer then lay that onto a layer of windshield urethane.

Or would stick on sound deadener be enough so it don't drum?

Whatever floats your battleship only don't pound any sand with it.

Theres goo and theres material. Maybe theres heat too. If just using 'glass thats all you need. For something that fits within our lifetimes, IMHO. :)
Matt

jaybee

How stiff is bed liner when it cures?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Yeah  yrs ago , when people used the commercial spray on bed line under early metal fenders or fiberglas fenders to avoid star cracks and dents from pebbles tossed by the tyres .. It was advised to make sure the fenders were in the proper shape / conture  when the product was sprayed on. Sturdy product.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Good thick spray in rubbery (baked?) stuff is more flexible than a wet sanding squeegee for example. Rhino liner or the modern equivalent, that is.

Duplicolor or air dry stuff is brittle and thin.

If half a can of aging bodyfiller is taking up shelf space, that might do. Just paint it so it stays. Depends on cowl expectations, vibration and what not.
Matt