Spark plugs in aluminum heads

Started by phat46, December 24, 2020, 10:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Anti seize or no on the plugs.  I read many conflicting things online about it. Never had aluminum heads before, but I am leaning towards using the anti seize.

chimp koose

Use anti sieze but just a touch . Dont butter it up with the stuff.

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"Use anti sieze but just a touch . Dont butter it up with the stuff.

That's what I was thinking too. Just a skim coat on threads.

chimp koose

What heads are you using , this is a 383 you were building ?

kb426

I'm a believer in most applications. Anything that's exposed to high heat, or repeated removal, yes. I was taught to use that while I was running a 426 hemi blown application.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"What heads are you using , this is a 383 you were building ?

Edelbrock heads, yes 383 stroker. Nearly ready to make noise.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have used both forms on antisieze on spark plugs for years. Just a small touch amount.

I seldom install bolts into aluminum dry. I've built transmissions for decades with aluminum cases.. I always use something on threads. Oil , WD-40 , assembly lube. Some of the new bolts we buy for use on transmissions have a lite coating of protective oil on them in the box.. I use those as they come out of the box.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Quote from: "Crosley"I have used both forms on antisieze on spark plugs for years. Just a small touch amount.

I seldom install bolts into aluminum dry. I've built transmissions for decades with aluminum cases.. I always use something on threads. Oil , WD-40 , assembly lube. Some of the new bolts we buy for use on transmissions have a lite coating of protective oil on them in the box.. I use those as they come out of the box.

I'm the same way. I tend to use antisieze or Loctite on a lot of things, but always antisieze on aluminum. Except into water, where sealer is obviously required.

Of course things like head bolts come with specific instructions.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

KB when I worked on the TA/FC , TA/D crew we were told too much anti seize could cause detonation in a blown alcohol motor . I would just touch the threads with it . We had no computer on the cars and if a plug thread was helicoil repaired then you would not get a proper plug read in that hole either .

chimp koose

Just remembered , last year I made a bunch of aluminum thread repair inserts for a friends Donovan in his blown alcohol pull tractor . He  wanted them aluminum so he can still read the plugs after thread repair. Steel helicoil inserts dont burn the cad plating  the same.

chimp koose

So what does the cam spec out like ? Inquiring minds want to know ! If I remember right you were going to be just over 10:1 compression ratio and run E85? Nephew helping as he runs an E85 combo ?

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"So what does the cam spec out like ? Inquiring minds want to know ! If I remember right you were going to be just over 10:1 compression ratio and run E85? Nephew helping as he runs an E85 combo ?

Cam is not radical, basically more of a bottom end cam. It's a Lunati 60102, with 112* lobe separation, .468/.489 lift, with262/268 advertised duration. 219/227 @.050 lift. I have put the e-85 on hold for now, too many variables for me for a fresh engine startup. For now it will have a 750 cfm carb, with vacuum secondaries. BTW my nephews blown 383 went lean on his second outing and melted three pistons! Luckily only very minor damage to cylinder walls on the BowTie block. He deduced the fuel pump couldn't keep up.

chimp koose

Phat I have to laugh ... that is the same grind I picked for my T motor! I am going to run 1.6 rockers on the intake and 1.52 on the exhaust for lifts of .499/.495. A closer lobe separation cam would make more bottom end but a lot less vacuum . I want a well mannered motor that does not load up at the stop lights . I have a +.020 350 with patriot 185cc heads that flow 240CFM@.500 lift similar to  the edelbrocks ,a 10:1CR , shorty headers , Edelbrock performer intake /quadrajet and when I put those #s into a calculator it says 370ish HP @ 5300? rpm . Yours will likely do similar power but at a lower rpm and the cubes will give you better vacuum and low end torque. This cam is supposed to wind out well past 6000 with the right springs . Make sure you have the right spring rate as these lobes have a very fast lift rate and require much more spring than a cam of that lift would normally take . I think the spring is about a 460lb/inch or so . The heads I have use a spring rated for .575 lift on a solid FT cam and were JUST enough. Fuel delivery on an E85 motor needs to be about double of that of a gas motor.

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"Phat I have to laugh ... that is the same grind I picked for my T motor! I am going to run 1.6 rockers on the intake and 1.52 on the exhaust for lifts of .499/.495. A closer lobe separation cam would make more bottom end but a lot less vacuum . I want a well mannered motor that does not load up at the stop lights . I have a +.020 350 with patriot 185cc heads that flow 240CFM@.500 lift similar to  the edelbrocks ,a 10:1CR , shorty headers , Edelbrock performer intake /quadrajet and when I put those #s into a calculator it says 370ish HP @ 5300? rpm . Yours will likely do similar power but at a lower rpm and the cubes will give you better vacuum and low end torque. This cam is supposed to wind out well past 6000 with the right springs . Make sure you have the right spring rate as these lobes have a very fast lift rate and require much more spring than a cam of that lift would normally take . I think the spring is about a 460lb/inch or so . The heads I have use a spring rated for .575 lift on a solid FT cam and were JUST enough. Fuel delivery on an E85 motor needs to be about double of that of a gas motor.

I have 1.5 roller rockers, I figured with the stroker motor I could go wth this cam and still have plenty of bottom end. I will probably run a 700r4 trans, that should also help down low. I will run my 8.5" 10 bolt rear with 3.23 gears for now, till I can take apart the free nine inch I got and see what it is. 😀 I am running an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold and haven't picked a carb yet, but leaning towards a Street Demon 750. A Q-Jet would also be good, I have always liked them and think it would be quite a kick when those secondaries dumped in on this motor!