PC help, please!

Started by jaybee, February 13, 2004, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

OK, I'm in a lot of trouble here with SWMBO.  Updated our main PC from WinME to WinXP and lost all of our saved email and address book info in the process.  The files are all there, I can navigate to everything that was there before in Explorer.  What am I looking for and how do I get out of the dog house?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mojo

Quote from: "jaybee"OK, I'm in a lot of trouble here with SWMBO.  Updated our main PC from WinME to WinXP and lost all of our saved email and address book info in the process.  The files are all there, I can navigate to everything that was there before in Explorer.  What am I looking for and how do I get out of the dog house?

You should be able to import them if you're using outlook express 6. Just go to "file", "import", and then follow the bouncing ball from there. If you know where the email files are at, then you've got the hard part covered. Outlook drives me nuts because it basically hides the email files.

jaybee

Quote from: "Mojo"[You should be able to import them if you're using outlook express 6. Just go to "file", "import", and then follow the bouncing ball from there. If you know where the email files are at, then you've got the hard part covered. Outlook drives me nuts because it basically hides the email files.

That's my basic problem, no idea where this stuff is hidden.  I don't really even care if I keep the formatting intact as long as I can recover the information.  The "import" function didn't work for some reason.  Do some of these files have peculiar extensions I can search for?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

John, try this.  Open Outlook Express and click on tools, options, go to maintenance tab, then click on "store folder".  That should show the location of your email storage folder.  On my XP machine it's C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long alpha-numeric}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.  In my Windows 98 machine it's Windows/Application Data/Identities/{alpha-numeric}/Microsoft/Outlook Express. The bold items will be your username and ID's.   In the Windows 98 machine, which is like ME, the file extensions are .dxb for the mailboxes.  In the XP machine I don't know what the file extensions are because I deleted some of Outlook express and only have full Outlook.  You can find quite a bit of info by searching Google for "outlook express" email files.  I found some pretty good pages telling how to backup files, find files and move files in outlook express.
George