'31 Chevy Pickup parts

Started by alchevy, July 26, 2004, 01:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Purplepickup,
Been reading on this forum about the other cars you have. Since my friend has a '31 Chevy Pickup he's building, I thought I would ask if you or anyone else knew where we could find any doors for it. He needs a passenger side door. Don't know if car doors and truck doors on 1931 models are similar or not?? Some things may be similar. By the way, I have been putting some pictures from prev Street Rod Nats on my car clubs website http://www.vicksburgcruisers.com and I put a picture of your truck I took back in 2000. I also have some build-up pictures of my friend's pickup on the Club Member's Projects page. I'll be at Louisville so maybe if someone has any '31 doors, we can get together.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

purplepickup

I'm pretty sure 4 door sedan doors are the same as pickup doors.  I've got both so I'll check when I get home.  I don't want to get rid of any but I've seen them on ebay from time to time.  

I might be willing to work out a deal to trade two good truck doors for two good 2 door sedan doors.

Thanks for posting the pic of my truck on your site. 8)  Your buddy's truck looks like it's coming along nicely.  They're rare and cool but they sure are small inside.  I hope he's either a short man or willing to drive with his knees in his chest :lol:
George

purplepickup

I was wrong.  I checked and an pickup door is different than a 4dr sedan door.  The truck door is 29 " wide all the way up to the top and a sedan door is 29" wide up to the beltline then tapers to 28".  The taper is in the front.  A truck door is 45" tall and a sedan door is 42" tall.  The hinges are located in different spots.  There is an extra detail line surrounding the window on the sedan door.   Door handles and latches are in different places too.  It wouldn't be too hard to modify a sedan door to fit as long as the truck was chopped at least 3".  Mine is chopped 3".  You'd basically have to relocate the hinges and take out the taper in the front.

Here's a couple of pictures.  The black door is from my 4dr sedan and the rusty door is from my spare cab.  Both are stock height.

George

alchevy

Quote from: "purplepickup"I was wrong.  I checked and an pickup door is different than a 4dr sedan door.  The truck door is 29 " wide all the way up to the top and a sedan door is 29" wide up to the beltline then tapers to 28".  The taper is in the front.  A truck door is 45" tall and a sedan door is 42" tall.  The hinges are located in different spots.  There is an extra detail line surrounding the window on the sedan door.   Door handles and latches are in different places too.  It wouldn't be too hard to modify a sedan door to fit as long as the truck was chopped at least 3".  Mine is chopped 3".  You'd basically have to relocate the hinges and take out the taper in the front.

Here's a couple of pictures.  The black door is from my 4dr sedan and the rusty door is from my spare cab.  Both are stock height.

Where did you find a spare cab? I guess my friend won't be able to talk you out of it...you probably want to keep it. The chop on his truck is at least 3" and may be more. I see what you are talking about with the placement of the hinges and the beltline and taper. Thanks for checking for us. I'll let him know what you found out Tuesday at work. He said that it is tight up in the cabs of these trucks.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

purplepickup

Quote from: "40chevy"Where did you find a spare cab? I guess my friend won't be able to talk you out of it...you probably want to keep it.
It was on ebay....a "Buy it Now" for $400.  As rare as they are I jumped on it.  It's a little rough but not bad.  I had to drive from Michigan to Colorado a couple of weeks ago to get it tho.  Actually I had a good time since I really like road trips and I got to meet tomslik who went and got the cab for me and kept it at his place til I could get it.  He had it all bolted to a mini frame he welded up to make it easier to move around.  What a guy. 8)

No, I don't think your friend could talk me out of it.
George

Jokester

Hi guys,  if I remember correctly the commercial vehicles of the era used front sheetmetal (hood, grill, fenders) from the previous year passenger car.  So you might want to check out doors for a '32 sedan to fit the '31 pickup.

I may have it backwards though.  In that case, try doors from a '30 sedan.  

My two cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Jokester"...try doors from a '30 sedan.  

.bjb
I've got a '30 sedan too and the doors are quite a bit different.  '31 was the first year Chevrolet made their own truck bodies so they were different than earlier cars and trucks.  '32 sedan doors are not too close either.  I'm pretty sure '32 truck doors fit but they're pretty rare too.
George

alchevy

Thanks for checking on that for me. My friend may have to just make the ones he's got work if that is all we can find. One of these years, I'm going to kidnap him and take him to Louisville...he would love it. I probably wouldn't be able to get him away from the swap meet area to show him the rest of the car show though!
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

alchevy

Here is a recent picture of Ronnie's '31 Chevy Pickup. He got it on the road and has been driving it some.

www.astreetrodder.com