Cooling again

Started by Mikej, January 05, 2005, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

HRSJ posted some info on a high flow thermostat that was erased when there was site trouble. I had too get a new griffin radiator  (leaking, broken motor mount) and thought this would also be a good time to replace the water pump and the thermostat. I thought i would get the stewert's components stage 2 pump but wasn't sure on the thermostat.

enjenjo

I believe that was a RobertShaw thermostat he recommended.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HOTRODSRJ

Any "balanced" thermostat will do. Yes, Robert Shaw is a manufacture that I believe distributes thru dealers like Stewart's only.  But, Stewart's recommends that the thermostat have a series of holes in it.  I have played with and ran these thermostats thru the years and the holes give me problems with keeping my engines hot enough and/or at anywhere near optimum operating temperatures.

In-so-far as the hole is concerned..... I would stick to a 180 degree with only two small 1/8" holes opposed if any.  I am running no holes in any of mine with high volume/high flowing pumps and I have not had a problem per se and I OVERDRIVE my pumps and flog my engines to 6500 all the time.  The hole recommendation is to prevent cavitation at the thermostat at very high rpms.  So, I wouldn't worry about it for the street certainly.  

I now buy  from Summit racing the Mr. Gasket or Mildon "balanced" models only..  Now some of the other "conventional" thermostats call themselves "high flow" but aren't really.

Here is what a "balanced" thermostat looks like along side a regular one. The "balanced" technology does not work against the water pump pressure and will NOT stick closed!
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

Mikej

Thanks Steve that was the info I was looking for.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)