Class 5 receiver hitch questions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 26, 2021, 11:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Class 5 hitch :  any body here used them?  The trucks I am looking at have 2.5 inch receiver hitch on them

The insert design that is a dropped hitch.  Dual ball style.    2.5 inch square receiver on the truck.

I see 10k ratings to 20k ratings on them.  Material thickness is heavier with higher weight rating.  SOme of these inserts are listed at nearly 50 pounds

I have never used one.  They all seem to function basically the same.  Pull pins to move the ball height location up or down. Pull another pin to rotate from 2 inch ball to 2 5/16 ball.

I see prices from 200 dollars to 500 dollars
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have been using Curt hitches for some time now. Amazon seems to have the best price on them. Like this  https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45799-Adjustable-Trailer-Receiver/dp/B003AT4C2U
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought the truck...  the receiver is 3 inch .  I thought it was 2.5 inch.  Comes from Ford with reducer insert from 3 inch  to 2.5 inch.

I am going to install a 5th wheel hitch.  Also need to tow my regular car trailer.  So I do need a new hitch
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

So:  I bought this CURT brand  hitch. Has a  2.5 inch shank. 20k max trailer weight towing . max tongue weight is 2k.  This unit is heavy. About 40 pounds. Solid , beefy

Bought from etrailer dot com.  I've bought a few items from them recently. Their tracking and communication during the sale is excellent.
Tony

enjenjo

You might look for some locks for that. They are real easy to steal. Of course a grade 8 bolt with a Stover lock nut works too, but it makes it hard for you to remove also.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"You might look for some locks for that. They are real easy to steal. Of course a grade 8 bolt with a Stover lock nut works too, but it makes it hard for you to remove also.

Yes.. the hitch is under the back seat of the truck till I buy lock style pins. Or simply remove the 2 ball section when not in use.
Tony

kb426

One of my friends had his hitch stolen while we drank coffee one morning. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I always take my insert off when I'm done with it. Hurts when I hit it with my shins.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Picked up a set of running boards for our new truck.  Wife can not get in the truck very easily without them. Truck is a 4x4.  Seems like the new OEM trucks all sit high again like decades ago.

At the truck accessory shop friday morning buying running boards...  as I do the electronic payment deal....  there on the peg board is a Curt brand locking hitch pin for a 3 inch receiver .  It was kinda waving at me:  here I am. So, I bought that lock pin too.
Tony

jaybee

Even the 2wd pickups seem to be taller than they used to be. I guess everyone wants to look of a big, tough truck.

Out here the Bro Truck guys have what's called the "Carolina Lift." They lift just the front end of the truck, or keep the front about 3" higher than the back. They look like they have about a ton of rock in the bed, porpoise quite visibly, and wander all over the lane as they drive.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"Even the 2wd pickups seem to be taller than they used to be. I guess everyone wants to look of a big, tough truck.

Out here the Bro Truck guys have what's called the "Carolina Lift." They lift just the front end of the truck, or keep the front about 3" higher than the back. They look like they have about a ton of rock in the bed, porpoise quite visibly, and wander all over the lane as they drive.

I saw one of them yesterday. The first one I encountered in real life.

I aske a friend that was a Ford engineer why the new trucks were so high several years ago. He told me the higher the trucks were, the better sales were. So obviously customer demand is what makes them so high. If you look at new trucks compared to 80s trucks, the proportions are different. The wheel openings are much lower compared to body height.

When I was into 4x4 trucks and mud bogging, I felt that any lift above that needed for tire clearance was a waste of time. I won my share of mud bogs against trucks with much more horsepower, and lots more lift.

58 Yeoman

Bro-dozers and Mall Crawlers, probably never see off road.

On the other hand, my first wife had a cousin with a super nice Bronco, 70's I think. Jacked up with big tires, the works. You could eat off the underside of it. His club would take them out mud bogging, then clean them spotless again. Seemed like a lot of work to me. Now, he and his wife are into hot Mustangs.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Beck

I'm amazed at how much my 2500HD Sierra sags in back when I hook my trailer up to it. I think Ram may have a good idea with the self leveling setup. I should buy some leveling bags for it.
I had to buy a long drop hitch for mine. The factory one wasn't low enough. After I used it a few times I had to cut the bottom hole off of it. I was beating up my driveway when I pulled out or backed in.
I can't let my hitch in when not in use. I have one of those fancy tailgates. If I forgot and dropped the center down it would hit the hitch and cost me big $$ to repair.
Since I take it out when not in use I don't have to worry about locking it.