Garage door openers? 8 foot tall door

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 14, 2018, 11:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Looks like my 15+ yr olde garage door opener Craftsman 1/2 hp chain drive  is just slap worn out.

Door  will open 1 foot,  stop.  5 feet , stop. Then work great for 3 - 5 days and then puke again.

Sensors checked, limit switches checked. Roll up springs adjusted, cables are good....   If I open the door manually, easy up and down.  I am thinking the internal motor safety switch is going bad or the motor it's self is worn out.

Looking at new opener... sheesh.  Way too many options now.

Likely will buy a 3/4 hp unit.

Belt drive?  Another chain drive ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

My friends have all bought Chamberlains.
TEAM SMART

GPster

After my fiasco this spring of me backing the Jeepster into the closed, 12' metal roll-up door on my garage/shop we decided to replace it with a more residential style garage door with an opener. The contractor installed a Clopay door and a Genie opener.I had selected a metal insulated door which has a metal interior surface and because it is a 12' wide door ( but only 7' high) I was concerned about the power needed to operate it. The contractor suggested the Genie door and I opted for their 1.25 hp drive model. The prices between hp was small. He suggested using the belt driven model. His opinion was based on the fact that with the low ceiling height a chain which has some lubrication on it which would be a magnet to air born "junk" and messy looking because of it's lower height. I have become spoiled with this door and opener. I can just press the button of the remote which is on a shelf by our back door and watch my garage door open. I think my contractor got everything through Home Depot if you'd like to see an object rather than a picture of it on your computer. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

I got my taller ladder out. To get a better look at the Craftsman opener on the door.

The shaft bushings are totally worn out.  The  sprocket  shaft has an 1/8 inch slop in it.

New Chamberlain  opener has been purchased.  We had a discount coupon with Lowes: good  for this weekend only.  We got 20 bucks off the cost of the opener and the 8 foot door extender kit.
Tony

58 Yeoman

My Genie opener died earlier this year (it came with the house). It was chain drive and VERY noisy...I was happy to see it go. I've now got a new Chamberlain and the other door is a Craftsman. Also have a Craftsman at the shop. Both C-man openers came with the house. All are chain drive.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Couple photos... new Chamberlain  chain drive unit.  Near exact as Craftsman unit.  I imagine Chamberlain built Craftsman openers for decades.

Photo of the piles of metal I found inside my olde craftsman opener..  Slap worn out.

Chamberlain uses electronic gizmo memory stuff to set the opening length and closing setting..  I wonder if that  memory dumps when power goes off?

And:  My olde remotes will not function on the new opener , New remotes do not work with other older openers.  Great , not
Tony