Started by tomslik, August 19, 2023, 07:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

have any of you installed/used one?
or anything similar?
your thoughts?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kb426

On the protouring web site, many have used EPAS. Most are using salvage yard units. Few complaints after getting them setup. One of the things I do on my builds is to install as large a capacity alternator as is feasible. With all of the electrics, you can run out of capacity. I also use relays for any major draw. I have a brochure for DCEmicrosteer that looks good. dcemotorsport.com
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I am just building a EPAS column using the unit out of a Saturn Vue in a 70s Chevy van tilt column. Fairly straight forward. The hardest part was coupling the upper spine on the EPAS unit to the tilt shaft. I'll post more with pictures in a few days.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

"I'll post more with pictures in a few days."

Yes please, I'm very interested in these installations. Some of the installations I've seen online have what could be considered questionable decisions, like butt welding segments of steering shaft together. While EPAS wasn't involved, that's what killed F1 driver Ayrton Senna. A butt welded steering shaft came apart in his hands at 170mph.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

enjenjo

Still waiting on parts. I have figured out how to connect it to the early column, it will take a bit of lathe work but I am picky.

jaybee

It's steering...I'd say it's right to be picky.

enjenjo

I am sorry about the delay. After an upgrade and new software it took me a while to figure out posting pictures

The three pieces in the picture are needed to adapt the EPAS to the steering column I am using. The left piece is a female 3/4"DD stub to adapt to my column The center piece is a sleeve 1 1/4" diameter, with one side bored to 1" and the other side bored to 0.926". The right piece is part of the original shaft for the EPAS. To be honest of the three pieces in the picture I only ended up with one of them in the finished product. I screwed the original parts up.

I drilled four 1/2" holes in each end of the sleeve for plug welds and after welding turned the sleeve to the finished size. The next step will be locating the EPAS in the column to clear everything. More later.

enjenjo

Here is the EPAS and the original upper column. The top shaft spline is an oddball, but the lower is 11/16" 36 spline.(actually 18mm 36 spline but 11/16 36 is close enough to fit)

jaybee

Looking good. Are you using any sort of adapter box for the electronics, or letting it default to the level that would be fail-safe mode in an OEM vehicle? That second thing seems to be what most people do, and they normally seem to be pretty happy with the results. I've driven some OEM cars with variable steering assist that feels sort of unnatural at times.

enjenjo

I haven't got that far yet. I have EPAS on my HHR and it never felt weird to me.

jaybee

I experienced it in a Mazda once. The steering would suddenly get lighter or heavier in a noticeable way. I can't say I've experienced it with other cars. The programming probably wasn't good.