2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

Replacing the OEM 1986 door on the park model we live in during the winter. The door was slap worn out , falling apart.  New door height is good.  New door is 2 inches wider so I had to modify the door frame opening, trim the tin siding back. 

I could not find a door that was the same size. The supplier tells me the industry  door size was changed several yrs back.

I have the new door about 50% finished. My back was going out , so I stopped for the day
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

The door looks good, Tony.  I've been working on replacing the front floors in the Corvair I bought.  I bought repops from Clarks Corvairs.  Saved me a lot of work, but it is still a lot of works to preserve the cross braces. I started welding in the right side today, but the batteries died in my welding helmet.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

rebuilt the seat pan on a 72 honda 70 tonight . Not mine , its for a buddy. welding wire was thicker than the seat pan , made it interesting !  I guess those bikes are quite sought after now . His is in pretty nice shape compared to the ones he showed me being fixed on the web site . His has been in heated storage all its life . new foam , seat cover ,sprockets , chain , brakes and a carb kit and it should be good to go .

416Ford

Looking good Phil. That's the first time I have seen the heat duct on a Corvair. Hated the heat in those when I had  one.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

58 Yeoman

This is the first time I've ever had/worked on a Corvair, a lot of VW's.  The heat channel is all plastic, and has three heater hoses attached from the engine, and they're 4" in diameter.  Actually, two are heat and one is fresh air.  I just learned this past week to block off the fresh air hose at the engine, so the engine gets more cooling air, and the heater actually works better with it blocked off.

That elbow is a 4" pvc pipe I used to 'expand' the heater hose to help getting it on easier.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Had a buddy with a VW back in the 70s.. He added one of those heaters that burned gasoline drawn from the front tank of the VW.  Geez that heater made plenty of heat.

I have worked on a few Corvair powered sandrails, and a ramp side truck.  Engine parts for Corvairs were pricey decades ago.  Clarks Corvair was the main place for parts back then too.  The rampside truck was an automatic... Gutless power is putting it mildly.

Several yrs ago , a buddy went to an auction of motorcycles here. He was texting photos & prices to me of the bikes since we share similar interest in them. The hot item then was the early Honda bikes that were stamped steel welded chassis.  From 50cc on up the prices were crazy. These bikes were ruff "as is" to full restored.
Tony

WZ JUNK

I have been working on a semi precision welding table made from junk.  I live to repurpose.  I got this idea on you tube and them I adapted.  Parts are from two old table saws that I have very little money in and an old bread rack from a grocery store that was free. When I am not using it as a weld table, it will have a wooden work bench top.  The throat plate is reversible and the vise grip clamping fixture is stored upside down when not in use.  You can use the original rip fence and miter gauge to assist in clamp a desired angle. You can use welding clamps through the grid on each end. 

I recently read that you can either be a good welder or a good grinder.  I think I am more of a grinder these days but a least I can sit down and weld some.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Glad that job is done.  Now, on to more fun stuff. 

I got a message just a little while ago from a  guy in MI, saying he didn't see the messages that I sent him about buying his 69 Corvair, last year made.  Said it went into a different folder, or something.  His car is still for sale.  I told him I already bought one.  Nothing like being 4 weeks behind the times.  Good luck with the sale.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Finished the outside work on my entry door install on the ol Park model today...  My lower back is really angry again tonite. Tomorrow I will rest a bit longer I hope.  The inside work is next to trim out the door frame and section of wall board I had to remove.  Replacing a few single pane  windows will be next. 
Tony

58 Yeoman

Tony, I used to go to a local Chiro just about every week.  He told me about an inversion table and put me on his once.  It worked for me, so I bought my own, Teeter Hang Ups.  It was almost new, so I pair around $350 for it, but they come up cheaper on market place, etc.  If my back starts bothering me, I just hang upside down for about 5 minutes once a day.  Seldom need more than two days in a row.  You can take it slowly without hanging completely upside down, but in degrees until you feel comfy going further. (I haven't hung completely upside down yet, and I've had it for a few years.

Now, if I could just find a doctor that could relieve these headaches...

Phil

kb426

I see some people are making progress. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Phil: I have never hung upside down. In 2011 I suffered a serious pinched femoral leg nerve situation.  The MRI showed I have 9 defects in the L1 - L5, S1 area, bulged disc, herniated disc. I also have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis , which is a problem that causes pressure on my nerves as they pass thru the narrowed channels in my spine from the Stenosis build up.

After my motorcycle crash on January 13th , 2013.. there was  a big flare up of pain and leg numbness.  Another MRI indicated the Stenosis had closed the path way more. If I lift too much weight or a lot of bending , lifting , the low back area gets inflamed. I am careful , but sometimes stuff needs to get done.  ;)  ;)
Tony

58 Yeoman

Ouch!  Hope you get to feeling better.  My wife tried the inversion table, and couldn't handle it either, but she also doesn't have the same problems you have with your back.  Don't overdo it.

Phil