48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Looks really nice out in the sun.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

O&S is sitting reflecting on everything that happened today. Today was mount the doors day. I had carpet laid on a long step stool to lay the doors on. I blew the inside out as best I could before installing the sound mat. I got that done without cutting myself. There is very limited space to do that. I put the right side door on and marked it carefully where I thought the window wiring should go. I removed the door and drilled the hole. I put the door back on and instantly knew that was a bad plan. The F1 doors open differently and I had used similar locations for the Chevy. Abject failure. :) I drilled the left side door in different locations but I'm doubtful that will work, either. I had purchased weatherstripping for 48 doors. In 49 they changed the style. I think you can guess why. I didn't end up using it. :) I installed the door handles and realized that the linkage inside needs to be shortened. I locked the handle and it will move just a tiny bit. That was enough to open the door. Small problem, just more time. With the doors on, I went for about a half mile drive. When I accelerated, it had a stumble and some kind of a miss. When I got back, I plugged in the code reader and it came up lean on both banks.  Numerous places to look for that problem. I took some pics late in the day so the light isn't the best so you could see more of what it looks like. Head on is unlike anything I can remember seeing. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Far out, man!  8)
That's groovy!  8)
I can dig it.  8)

You did just enough. Well enough. To have something way out.  :idea: It is quite the head scratcher / eye hook. :-o

The full boogie shakedown is coming, I have faith. :)
Matt

jaybee

I dig it. Truly one of a kind.

kb426

I did some research. The window wiring seems to be handled by 2 items: the door jamb contacts such as Magnum shooters or running the wires with the lower hinge. Tomorrow will tell. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The problem with the Magnum shooters is you can't troubleshoot the wiring with the door open. And the geometry of the  hinges are really complicated. I have done it with the lower hinge by milling an 1/8" slot into the top of the door part of the hinge deep enough for two wires and gluing the wires into the slot, with enough wire to reach the window motor and a plug in the cowl for the switches.

on Your previous post, I gather used aluminum Van running boards and cut new sill plates out of them. Polish with a bit of steel wool and screw them down. But I see you already did them another way :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

O&S found the new pcv grommet wasn't tight. I tossed it in the solvent for it to swell up. No dice. I put 2 wraps of gray tape around it and shoved it in the hole. I drove the truck later in the day to do the speedo calibration and it put up the lean code again. It just took longer to do it so maybe I'm looking in the right area. :) I removed both door handles and modified the link from the handle to the latch to shorten it. Now, when they're locked, they're locked. :) The window channel next to the latch is back in and the window motors are installed. I was getting tired and had lots to do so that's when I went for a drive. By then it was 70 degrees out. :) That will soon pass.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S tightened the exhaust flanges on the collectors and it runs better. It's not there yet but I have a small leak to deal with. I ran the wiring to the window motors along the bottom hinge. I ordered some colored seat belts that were a proper length and have them installed. I weighted the truck without the side glass or a shifter boot. The rest is there. 3010 lbs. I went out and played a little. The steering is very quick and the spring setup is close to what I wanted. I had the shocks at almost full hard and that was too much I backed it off on rebound and now I have a starting point. I started adjusting brake bias. I thought I could leave the proportioning valve open but that didn't work as expected. I have it half way now and may close it some more. I think they call that tinkering. :) I put up a short video, no side windows or shifter boot. Plenty of noise. :) {https://youtu.be/NaWuk_inWQM}
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

You never fail to amaze, Bill. Another awesome build!
George

jaybee

OK, she should drive really well at less than 3,100# once you get that side glass in. This one is so cool.

chimp koose

kb426

If O&S wasn't so determined and possibly retarded, he would have quit by 10am. LOL. Nothing gets done if you quit, though. Here's the synopsis: After a long day, I have the passenger side window in. The glass needs to be put in the vent wing and the covers on the inside of the door. That's enough of a description for today. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Some days we burn bright, some days we just smoke.  :o

Don't fret a li'l traction loss  :)
Matt

kb426

O&S is closer. :) Both windows are in and operational. I ordered peel and stick weatherstripping for the doors. That is installed. Door panels, e brake and shifter boot remain for the inside. I want some useful ext. mirrors. I saw a pic of 67-72 chevy pickup mirrors on on of these. I'd like to see if the mounting flange matches the radius on the beltline or it's just there. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S didn't accomplish much today. I jacked the truck up and looked for exhaust leaks. The right side header had a couple of bolts that were a little loose. I didn't like the angle of the header pipe on the collector so I removed it and added 3/4" to it to change the angle. I put the spare ecu in to double check everything. I went for a drive to see if I had air leaks around the doors or windows. None that I can feel or hear. When I can back, I connected the code reader and it shows lean only on one bank?????With it idling, I removed a vacuum cap and it almost died. I expected it to speed up. I may end up removing the upper intake and double checking everything. I have some more injectors I may swap out while it's off. More thinking before doing. :)
TEAM SMART