mowing questions

Started by idrivejunk, May 25, 2018, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Lets talk about mowing. Curious where other men set their preferred deck height.

Do you prefer putting green, fairway, or rough... in front of your place?

:?:

(any other yard work talk is also welcome. Share a mowing adventure if you like.)  :)
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Eye Bleach     :!:     Get your eye bleach here  :!:   On sale for a limited time only   :!:  :lol:  :lol:

( See Frank....We REMEMBER  :!:  :shock:  )

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Uh-oh, what have I done this time? :oops:
Matt

kb426

Out here in the desert, the rule is 3"
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Lets talk about mowing. Curious where other men set their preferred deck height.

Do you prefer putting green, fairway, or rough... in front of your place?

:?:

(any other yard work talk is also welcome. Share a mowing adventure if you like.)  :)

Three inches, supposed to crowd out weeds. 🙄 I bought a Green Works 60 volt cordless electric mower last year. I can't recommend it enough, there's enough battery to cut my lawn twice most times, I believe it would cut nearly an acre on one charge, unless the grass was overdue for a cut. The thing is quiet, and like  I told my neighbor, at my age, quiet is important! 😄

Carnut

I've been mowing with a BD cordless mower for 6yrs now. Gone thru a couple sets of batteries in that time. Can't do my whole yard on a charge, but then again I'm not up to pushing a mower thru my whole yard myself without a recharge, so it works out ok for me.

Kinda like driving distances, my bladder won't outlast my gas tank mileage.

Mowing height higher makes battery charge last longer.  I do try and resharpen blade before each mowing.

Theoretically push mowing was supposed to provide the exercise I am missing from no longer Country Dancing. But it's really just a death defying feat to get my yard mowed.

Someday I may get the gumption to rewire my Lawn Tractor and get it running again.

idrivejunk

Reckon I'm more of a fairway man, for a lush green lawn farther into the dry spells. I gas push mow second setting from the lowest, normally. Yards each side of me are putting green fuzz.

Words of wisdom from my father about lawn care: "I figure if its green and I can cut it, thats OK!" :D
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Reckon I'm more of a fairway man, for a lush green lawn farther into the dry spells. I gas push mow second setting from the lowest, normally. Yards each side of me are putting green fuzz.

Words of wisdom from my father about lawn care: "I figure if its green and I can cut it, thats OK!" :D

Thanks to a failed federal gov't plan, the houses on each side of me became rentals. Their lawn care is spotty, some renters are good about it, but currently the young guys on the east side of me don't do lawn care, they have Hemi Challengers, legal dune biggies, built snowmobiles, but no lawn mower. Their lawn is either a foot long weedy mess or scalped at "renters height". They have a commercial mower come when it gets too high. 😕

UGLY OLDS

Gee...Nothing on Frank mowing his lawn..... :?  :?  :roll:  :?:  :?:

You guys are slippin'....... :lol:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

I just um... cut it at the lowest setting. Quite a bit more work that way and looks yuck but flows with neighs. Apologies to Frank and Bob but unless theres a pulling tangent yeah, slept since then. One day I'll find that tail light with the clear lens too. :?

I do have some memory(+al) of a story from a Dday when Frank's kin helped mow some unruly foreign soil. Its a good time right now for not forgetting those types of things. The right to mow, with a carb even, for example. );b( Or to have toys and not mow. :(
Matt

enjenjo

I mowed the lawn thursday wearing my favorite suit. Cars were speeding up as they went by. I have sandy soil so I cut it at 3 1/2"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pete

I mow 2 acres with a tractor. I cut to about an inch so I don't have to do it so often.

idrivejunk

OK Frank if it was your birthday when you mowed in a suit... :oops:  well thanks for the deck height input! :wink:

Guys, I have another question for Team Smart, on a dead tree...

I live in the last row of houses in my city, meaning the city limits are kind of in my back yard. Just over the fence, almost against it, is a row of old tall trees. That row of trees defines the city limit. So eight feet or so of my back yard is what they call the "city easement" and like the twenty foot city space between rows of plots on the rest of the streets in the subdivision, it is owned by the city but not maintained.

In my case, when I moved in twenty years ago the fence was present. If I built one, I would do so at MY actual property line.

Fence dividing mine and my next door neighbor's yard lines up with this tall dead tree over the fence. Tree is covered now in heavy vines and has already dropped limbs breaking that fence. It is leaning way over the fence in a direction that could put it on top of my or her house, and the reach is there enough to cause home damage depending on where it breaks, according to my best estimation. My fence and her shed will be smashed for sure.

Her bedroom and my garage are in the line of fire, and she has worn folks out over the phone about it to no avail. I don't care much.

So regardless of what fence is where, the tree is smack in the middle of city property. But it is in the middle of the easement, exactly where my city ends and theirs begins.

Is this a city responsibility? I had a lightning hit last year and don't need another claim on me due to negligence of others. Got opinion?
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Pete"I mow 2 acres with a tractor. I cut to about an inch so I don't have to do it so often.

I think this is the deal. I push mow for beauty, they riding mow for reduced hassle. If I had acres I probably would too. When in Rome... :roll:
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"OK Frank if it was your birthday when you mowed in a suit... :oops:  well thanks for the deck height input! :wink:

Guys, I have another question for Team Smart, on a dead tree...

I live in the last row of houses in my city, meaning the city limits are kind of in my back yard. Just over the fence, almost against it, is a row of old tall trees. That row of trees defines the city limit. So eight feet or so of my back yard is what they call the "city easement" and like the twenty foot city space between rows of plots on the rest of the streets in the subdivision, it is owned by the city but not maintained.

In my case, when I moved in twenty years ago the fence was present. If I built one, I would do so at MY actual property line.

Fence dividing mine and my next door neighbor's yard lines up with this tall dead tree over the fence. Tree is covered now in heavy vines and has already dropped limbs breaking that fence. It is leaning way over the fence in a direction that could put it on top of my or her house, and the reach is there enough to cause home damage depending on where it breaks, according to my best estimation. My fence and her shed will be smashed for sure.

Her bedroom and my garage are in the line of fire, and she has worn folks out over the phone about it to no avail. I don't care much.

So regardless of what fence is where, the tree is smack in the middle of city property. But it is in the middle of the easement, exactly where my city ends and theirs begins.

Is this a city responsibility? I had a lightning hit last year and don't need another claim on me due to negligence of others. Got opinion?

Where I live you can cut anything that is on your side of the fence, in fact, it is your responsibility. I have cut many limbs from neighbors trees, and vice versa. The property here that is between the sidewalk and street ( boulevard) is the cities, although the homeowner must maintain it. We had a 70' maple on our boulevard that was dying and we had the City look at it, twice. "That's a good tree" we were told. Then it fell in a light rain one day, it was so hollow that it had bats living in it! The city cleaned it up and promised a new tree but that was years ago and we're still waiting for our new tree. If  I were you I'd call the city, tell them that you are informimg them of a dangerous situation, and you will now hold them responsible for damages arising from that.