2024: What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2024, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Sorry to hear you're having problems, Matt.  I know what you mean about finding the older size tires.  I had to pay $550 for four 13" whitewall tires for one of the Vairs. Good grief.  All the pick-a-part yards are all gone around here, so you have to buy new stuff.  If you can find it.

I haven't been working in the shop lately, with all the cold and rain.  Just can't get into the mood.  Plus, the thought of upcoming surgery on the bridge of my nose near my eye, in May.  Went to the dermatologist office today, and they removed the nine stitches from my right shoulder.  Still waiting on results to see if both my lower eyelids have cancer.

If all you guys weren't so old already, I'd tell you to take good care of your bodies and use sunscreen, etc.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Phil they want that much for two rears. A week's pay. It seems idiotic to continue but I will try. Arguably as stupid to keep the car as it is the job but thats been the caae for many years. You see how it is though, everybody thinks I am a primadonna sitting on a gold mine because I have the purple car... yet no one wants it for free. Free! Car. 455, parts car with 400 and many extras. Runs, drives, does burnouts. No want. Unbelievable but thats how poor my choices have been. So poor I'll have to pay to dispose of my life's highest achievements.

To this day the bridge of my nose scar (8 stitches at 20 yo) requires attention and tries to make me look like one of those shrunken apple faced hillbilly dolls. They even cut out a hunk of scar later to try to help it. But it ties into the ten stitches in one eyebrow from the same day and five just above the other eyebrow. Where my chin was ground away on asphalt gives me the biggest trouble.

The body is a log book so yep. And times of stress affect the insides like hitting them with a hammer.

Mom says she is steadily improving. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Started welding the trunk pan in the Mustang, mostly done. After work I went and bought two new 275/60s and put the 255s up front. They still have outside corner tread which is what I need to retain a shred of sanity if such remains. All Cobra GTs still so no brand mix chaos.

The shorter tires made it noticeably quicker but the 255/275 stagger is the best and I had forgotten just how pleasant the ride is that way. Been running 245/255s but a 245 started showing belt. Happy days are here again and no you can't have her now that I've invested in 15s. They chirp magnificently, feel round, and there was zero wait or hassle because I knew they had them. Five bills and a five-spot. I just brought wheel / tires to the store with car on stands in driveway.

:)

But wait a sec, she told me Wednesday that 255s/275s in TA radials would be $1,338 all told. Hmm, theres another highly compelling reason to not use those.  :idea: :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

How about more of the same? Went out to wash the 69, but felt sorry for the dilapidated GT in the street. Thought I'd rinse the bird crap off it at least. Started it one day in the last half year or so. No start. Six year old battery. Another half week's pay gone, and the precious Saturday afternoon. Had to sand and paint the battery tray.

Automotive catch up weekend is toast, tomorrow is relatives visiting en route to the eclipse hype thing. So the cars both got just rinsed off or more like tarred and feathered with leaf litter / pollen in 25 mph winds. I was a doof for even thinking a wash job could be allowed. Took the GT for a drying out spin but the fans still don't work and the LR wheel is still crooked. To start. But it is loosely operative once more.

When will I do the three badly overdue oil changes? Um. Too hungry to think about that, must go in the GTP to dump billfold now for chow but hey...

That makes it a Grand Three. Yes!  :)

It is a good day and I feel lighter somehow. ;) You all know that feeling.
Matt

idrivejunk

Still feeling light in the pockets but man...

Dad insisted on taking the 455 around a few blocks today and I was shocked by how genuinely he adores that car. I can't turn it loose while he is topside. Nope.

All that ^^^ fussing crap meant nothing while we were cruisin'. He probably only chose today's visit to exercise Dad rights because his hearing aids are broken right now. But his interest patched my enthusiasm. The car has become a much greater privelidge than I ever earned. People don't seem to care how much bondo falls off. Not unlike growing old. :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

This morning was road trip day to the cemeteries to install new flowers on my mother's grave and my wife's parents graves.

On the way home on the freeway we hear a whack - ting noise under the car. Of course in my head I think "well there is a flat tire"  and it was. TPMS lite came on a couple minutes later near our exit.  At a red light I open the door, look back and sure as S the LR tire was very low.

I can report the OEM Honda tire changing tools and jack do work to change a flat tire.  I found the object that put a large cut in the middle of the tread.

First photo shows where the sharp metal stuck in the plastic inner wheel well after it exited the tyre.

2nd photo shows the length of the knife blade shaped object..

Last photo shows the mini spare tyre installed in a convenience store parking lot.

???  ???

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

i am nearly finished the jack shaft pedestals. Just need to drill and tap the mounting holes on the bottom . Put the tube for the bearings in the lathe , just have to face off the tube a bit and bore both ends for the pieces that press in each end to hold the bearings . Seals should be in tomorrow so I can then make the end caps to retain the bearings and hold the seals.

Crosley.In.AZ

At the cemetery my wife's parents are in , this chevy 1957 truck rolled in.  Mostly original looking.  I did not bother the older fellow while he visited a grave .

A few decades ago I had a 1957 chevy truck. Front IFS conversion from a 1970 Chevelle.. 454 with T-400 trans, 9 inch differential 2.75 gears.  Kinda miss that truck
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought this Harbor Freight floor jack in 2022... It developed a squeak in it last year. As you pump the handle it squeaked some where.  I sprayed various lube products on joints. It would be quiet maybe 2 uses.

So , I took the dang thing apart and used my red n tacky bearing grease on everything I could. Pulled pivot pins one at a time... Grease, re-install the pins. Its quiet again. The joints were very dry, my spray lube was not really getting into much.  :-X
Tony

idrivejunk

Yesterday was a horrible day. Bodily.

Looks like Eb and Flo stopped coming here.

But.

Dad had a blast driving my car other day.

I watched the eclipse via dark sunglasses and autodarkening helmet by waving hand in front of it to keep it dark.

Done in trunk and under hood on my job. Customer visit in a couple hours from now. Halfway through pan install now. Tunnel, wheelhouse section, qtr pnl and roof install are what is left.
Matt

jaybee

Dad sure has a big smile on his face, Matt. I like the looks of it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Me too.  :)

Tossed the tunnel and hump I made for the 73 job onto the scrap heap yesterday, customer wants an automatic. Welded seat braces in today then took roof and qtr off to prep them and weld a wheelhouse section. The pale green Bronco job is a roller now and rebuilt engine is going back in. Snagged somebody else's burger combo on the way home (they gave me the wrong order but I ate it anyway) and collapsed onto the bed upon arrival. Too bushed to boogie. :)
Matt

58 Yeoman

It pays to keep receipts. About four years ago, I bought some security lights for the house, one on each side of the garage doors.  Bought them at Costco for about $40 each.  One quit working, and being LED, you can't do anything with them.  OOPS, Costco doesn't sell that brand any longer.  Anyway, took the light and receipt to Costco and said it quit working.  She was surprised I still had the tag. You bet.  She looked it up on the puter, and said that Costco had reduced them to $10 each on clearance. Glad I had the receipt.  She called a mgr. over and he overrode the puter and I got all my money back.  I had already ordered the exact same light on Amazon for the same price.

Stop, children, what's that sound?  Sounds like my Pelonis dehumidifier has a rod knocking on the fan. Hah! Still under warranty three years later (bought a one year extended).  Contact the company, and they say to return it to Menard's for a refund or replacement.  Throw it in the truck, and the girl behind the counter says they still have that exact same make/model.  It's in the basement now running to its' hearts content.  Mine too.  Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

still working on the jack shaft for the chopper . Both ends of the housing bored , one end has the sleeve pressed in awaiting final sizing . Other sleeve needs OD turned for a press into the housing . I am having equipment challenges on the job. The steady rests on my smaller lathes are not large enough to handle the OD of the housing , forcing me to use the large lathe . The large lathe steady rest can easily handle the OD of the housing but can only go so close to the chuck . As it is right now the housing is 8 1/8" long and just rides on the steady rest with 1/8" to spare . Final length of the housing finishes out to right at 7" . Once the sleeve is pressed in I will have to finish bore 2" in from the end to 42mm ID . I anticipate some fun getting knuckle room to operate the telescoping gage . Facing to length will also be fun . The good news is that once this is completed I will be able to throw a chain on this bike . Not done but a lot closer. Yes final paint will be metalflake  8)  8)  8)

kb426

^^^^
If there are no pics of the flake, I'm not believing it. :)
TEAM SMART