Static electricity

Started by enjenjo, April 03, 2022, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The bead blaster I built does a nice job, but I get a lot of static shocks. Do you have any solutions that work for you?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Try using one of the computer techs grounding straps that attach to your wrist. I have run into the shocking many times in my life. I'm usually moving around with the shop vac and the strap hasn't been an option. Where you are stationary, I'd give it a try.
TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

I've been using my bead-blast cabinet for 35+ years and never experienced static shocks.

The metal cabinet has a ground wire connected to the metal dust collector housing, which is grounded thru its 3-prong plug.

The long rubber gloves also prevent receiving shocks while blasting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

sirstude

I get the static shocks from my blaster also.  I think I am setup the same as Frank's unit.  I used Mike Tacoma's instructions and parts.  I might try the static strip to see if it helps.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

how about standing on a rubber mat ?

Crosley.In.AZ

I learned to keep the item i was blasting in contact with metal of the cabinet. If i held the item up off the metal screen base, shocks happened often
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

50 F1

I get lit up on my blaster all the time. Right where my arm goes though the metal cabinet

enjenjo

Quote from: 50 F1 on April 06, 2022, 04:25:30 PM
I get lit up on my blaster all the time. Right where my arm goes though the metal cabinet

Same here. I have a grounding strap ordered

kb426

This is an example of what I was referring to.
TEAM SMART

moose

For a quick cheap bonding strap you can strip back a length of copper wire, twist into a loop that will fit your wrist and attach the other end to the chassis you want to work with.

enjenjo

A bonding strap cured it. Much more pleasant to use.

Pete

A friend bought a blast cabinet and put it out in his barn because of lack of space in his shop. The barn only had 2 wire electricity from the old days. He had big time static build up till he reversed the plug in the socket.
It worked but is not a very safe way to operate. Not really legal any more either.

enjenjo

When I bought my place 50 some years ago the outbuildings were wired with two wire 220 volt, meaning no neutral. it works, but scares me. I quickly rewired it.