Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Rustproofing Q

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arnold
Nobleman

User's Age: (62)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Rustproofing Q Reply with quote

I already went ahead and did it Laughing I used some spray roofing tar that I had around. Aerosol. Has so much solvent in it(as well as high rubber content) it can be sprayed on wet/snowy/icy surfaces Laughing
Says it has "rust protection" in it. Really designed for emergency roof/gutter repairs Laughing
I have used it for years on roofs/gutters etc. It is for sure a great leak finder! Spray lots of it where you think it is leaking..it WILL find the leak. Hope you like tar wherever it runs too Laughing
Comes in aerosol,brush,trowel grade. I have used it all. Does not really "skin" over. Stays pliable.
I could not not try it Twisted Evil I guess if it can be applied to wet metal it has enough ability to drive out moisture Rolling Eyes
Oh..this stuff sucked right into rusty metal..seemed to cover nice and look good.

I DID phone the manufacturer..and ask/talk to them about it..they said they had NEVER heard of it being used for this Laughing they said "because of it's very high(really Rolling Eyes ) solvent content they could not reccommend it being used for this in case someone sprayed their catalytic converter"..NO..really Question or "other parts of the exhaust or other parts that got really hot..as it would then be an extreme fire hazard..NO really Laughing

I did a road test comparing it to some wax oil aerosol that I had had kicking around (my buddy left a bunch of it with me in the 1980's..((don't want to rush testing/using it Laughing )) They looked..went on pretty similar. The wax oil stuff was twice as expensive and went half as far.

Did the drivers side with the roofing tar and the passenger side with the wax oil Cool

Time will tell I guess. I am still going to wand the inaccessible spots.

I DO know about the old tar..and OLD rustproofing..think early Ziebart..

Up here you really do need some sort of protection against salt pieces/sand/gravel etc pounding away at the metal. Gotta love that factory stuff that gets hard,pulls away from the metal creating a nice bed of moisture..then cracks..

Tried this on a pretty expensive ride so I hope it works..(think winter daily driver one of 2 old Police Cruisers Laughing)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: