|Hey guys, we would like to get the finishing touches on the 1st annual RRT SoCal Summer 2000, Hot Rods and Haute Quisine run ironed out so if you are going or are planning on going you need to:|
1. E-mail SamIyam at et We need to know how many people are planning on going so we can make plans to accomodate. We will also be e-mailing updates and important info, so we need your addys on file so we can get ahold of you.
2. Make reservations at the
1911 West Olive Avenue
Burbank, CA 91506
Phone: (818) 845-8586
Fax: (818) 845-0054
for however long you plan on staying. This is where we will meet every morning before we head out for our day of fun. If you live in the area or plan on staying elsewhere, let me know so I can get you info and tell you where the Safari is. Map of the Safari's Location
3. Build your pinewood derby car! The last thing you want to do is show up at Bob's BBQ without a car. If you want details on rules and where you can purchase a car, or want me to buy you a car (If i buy your car for you, you'll owe me a meal!:)) send me an email and I'll get you the info.
- 12:00pm DRD57 will be your personal tour guide taking you out to lunch at "Don's Choice".
Manny’s El Loco
845 W. Cypress St.
Covina, CA 91722
Map to Manny's
- 2:00pm The "Bunch" will cruise over to Mark Mortan's Studio 111 to check out the collection there.
263 Main St.
Riverside, CA 92501
- 5:00pm Cruise night in Covina. Food and cars! Ooooeeee!
Danny’s Kosher Pickle Restaurant
402 N. Azusa Ave.
Covina, CA 91722
- 8:00am Breakfast at the Coral Cafe- This place comes with a "two thumbs up" from Bishop Beck & Tardel. Or was that three thumbs?
3321 W. Burbank Bl.
Burbank, CA 91505
- 10:00am Cruise to the NHRA museum of Drag Racing. This is one of those "sensory overload" places chock full of historic drag cars that most of us have only seen in magazines.
1101 W. McKinley Av.
Pomona, CA 91768
- 1:00pm Cruise to Tommy Burgers for lunch. According to my brother this is home of the best dern burgers in L.A. so I insisted we add it to the itin' so I could judge for myself.
Tommy’s Original Hamburgers
1627 Fullerton Rd.
Rowland Heights, CA
- 2:30pm Cruise to the SoCal Speed Shop for a private tour "behind the scenes" to see all the cool cars and hip stuff.
SoCal Speed Shop
1357 E. Grand Ave.
Pomona, CA 91766
- 6:00pm Road Kings meeting. Now this isn't just any car club, it's one that has a roster the reads like a "who's-who" in hot rodding including Tommy Ivo, Tom Medley, Floyd Lippencott III who piloted many a drag car down the 1/4 mile including Pat Ghanal's "Low Buck Special". (you can even find out his real name and the story behind his alias) In addition the guest speaker will be a famous rodder with a colorful track record and story to tell. In the past it has been anyone Linda Vaughn to Ed Iskiderian. Last month it was Wally Parks
- 8:00am Breakfast at Arthurs.
Arthur’s Coffee Shop
1281 E. LaHabra Bl.
Lahabra, CA 90631
- 10:00am Cruise to Moon Eye's U.S.A. Self explanitory.
10820 S. Norwalk Bl.
Santa Fe Springs, CA
- 12:30pm Cruise to Frisco's for lunch. This is an old time drive-in that will supply our group with the nostalgic aura of days-gone-by.
18065 Gale Ave.
- 2:00pm Cruise to "Speed Zone" for some seat time!! Yes we get to get behind the wheel to see who can turn the quickest time in their "go carts on steroids". If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the place where they have dragsters that run on a rail complete with SBC power!!
17871 Castleton St.
City of Industry, CA
- 5:00pm Cruise to Giovanni's Cruise Night. Just when you thought you'd seen all the cool cars and eaten at all the burger joints in L.A. we come up with yet another jewel of a hot spot to tantilize your senses!
3920 N. Harbor Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92835
- 8:00am Rise and shine folks! It's time for some breakfast grub down at Lancer's. I'm sure you can find something there to hold you over 'till lunch.
697 N. Victory Blvd.
- 10:00am Cruise to the Petersen Museum where Bob P. just shelled out 25 million to keep it going. You'll see more famous hot rods. I don't think it's a long shot to say you'll see at least one of the many cars belonging to Bruce Meyer.
6060 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
- 12:30pm Cruise to the Sunset Strip to have lunch at Carney's Train Station. Home of the best chili dogs on the planet. I would expect nothing less than dining in a railroad car. This is one of the very few places you can yell "woo!! wooooooo!!" and not get a slap in the face.
Carney’s Train Station
8351 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
- 2:00 pmAfter lunch we will swing by either one or all of the following:
Dean Jefferies place
California Car Cover
- 5:00pm Cruise to Toluca Lake Bob's Big Boy which happens to be the location where the famous shot of Norm Grabowski in the Kookie Car was taken (i think it ended up on the cover of LIFE magazine) Great cars, food, fun and history here!
Bob’s Big Boy
4211 Riverside Dr.
Burbank, CA 91505
- 6:00am I know it's early, but we need to grab some donuts and a cup-o-joe and get to the carshow.
- 7:00am Cruise to the L.A. Roadsters' Father's Day Roadster Show. If it has a top, you'll have to park in the parking lot. You also won't see any primered cars in "the show". Don't sweat it if you're not a fan of the high-zoot-rag-tops, I hear they have "preferred parking" for all the coupes and beaters.
- 3:00pm The climax of the entire week will be a BBQ at Hotrodbobs where the B.S. and burgers will entertain into the evening. And just when you thought it was too much to take, were gonna' have a pinewood derby (I like to call it a drag race) with cars that were built by the participants! We've even booked a couple of "exhibition vehicles" to wow the crowd! (spectate at your own risk)